4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2013 4:21 PM by Scott McFarland

Trouble using ScanTo3D/point cloud

Scott McFarland

Hello all, I am a newbie to solidworks (and solid modeling really) and am having trouble getting my point clouds to work. Ultimately the point clouds need to become a solid surface that I can integrate into other parts. The final product is a 3d printed horn. The first file named "ambient" ends up deleting the lower part the funnel in an upside down U shape. I need this to stop before i can move forward.

The second one "wildlife" I can get all the way through mesh prep and surface wizard but shows up as a grid on my screen and I can't seem to Thicken or interact with the model. I particualarly need to merge it with basically a rectangular box where the funnel is the inner bounding surface.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any/all help!

• Re: Trouble using ScanTo3D/point cloud

Hi Scott,

Is the Wildlife shape a revolve?  If so trim the CP to 1 quarter using the right and top planes. then mesh, then use surface extraction to extract a revolved surface.

Mark

Scott McFarland

The wildlife can be a revolve as it is a simple exponential funnel/horn. I apoligize for my lack of know how but what are the steps to trim the Cloud Point using the right and top plane? I have been simply trying to create the entire surface all at once. The part you upload looks fantastic but I can't interact with it.

Thank you so much!

-Scott

Hi Scott,

first, make sure you open that point cloud file with the units changed to inches (at least that's what I'm assuming becuause if you don't its very small.) Go ahead and mesh it.

When you do guide surface extraction with your mesh, the next step in the wizard is "Split Plane" you  can pick you one of your planes that lies down the center of your horn and split the mesh. At this point leave the wizard, select one of the two submesh (1/2 half) and then enter the wizard again and repeat with the other plane to split the mesh again. Now you have 4 each 1/4 qrtr meshes. Pick the one you want to go with and go thru the entire surface extraction wizard to extract the revolved surface.

Of course all this depends on whether the PC is on-true with the centers of the default planes. If not you'll have to use the Orientation part of the Wizard to get it located and aligned correctly.

If you want to just get one quarter of your Point cloud, you cannot use the split Plane feature but need to use the Extraneous Data Removal tool in the Mesh Prep Wizard, but you can't snap to the planes, you'll have to do it by eye. It should not effect the revolved surface extraction; after you have the surface  just edit the revolve feature and make it 360 instead of 90 degrees.

Mark