3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2013 2:58 PM by Jeff Hamilton

Split a revision table

Jeff Hamilton

I have a revision table that is getting a bit long and would like to split it and put the second part in another location. Is this possible?

• Re: Split a revision table
          John Burrill

Not with the Revision table object in SolidWorks.  You might be able to repalce your revision block with a standard table and split that but, check your drafting standards.  According to Y14.100 you can replace any number of of prior revision entries with a single line that says "SEE PREVIOUS REVISION" 

SEE PREVIOUS REVISION.PNG

This is probably because engineering drawing practices go hand-in-hand with ISO 9002 document control practices.  Since you're required to keep archives of previous revisions of a drawing, you don't have to track changes in the drawing itself.

I know some engineers and supervisors like the idea of having the entire history of the document in the revision block-I had one engineer who believed you should be able to recreate the previous revision from the revision block.  While it may seem like good organization to know the life story of a drawing at a glance, that information should be coming from your configuration management system

Jeff Hamilton

Up until now we have tried to keep the entire revision history on the drawing, except when it has been redrawn into another cad system. then we note the first revision in the table as a redraw and continue with the next revision letter. It may be something we have to look at reconsidering in the future.

For now, the only option I see is to duplicate all the information on the revision table in a general table, place it where the original revision table was, and relocate the revision table to another spot on the drawing and start the revision blocks from there. Not everything we would like, but it's not much different than just using a general table to begin with. Unfortunately all the revision symbols tied to the table would have to be replaced with disconnected annotation symbols. Alot of work that shouldn't be necessary.

We are considering upgrading our PDMWorks with Enterprise. If we do, it may be a good time to look at a different procedure.

Jeff Hamilton

"I know some engineers and supervisors like the idea of having the entire history of the document in the revision block-I had one engineer who believed you should be able to recreate the previous revision from the revision block.  While it may seem like good organization to know the life story of a drawing at a glance, that information should be coming from your configuration management system"

That sounds alot like some engineers I know too. It comes from the old 2D drawing board days when there was only one viewable document and that was the original drawing. Today, we have devises like PDM that actually let you view and even recall a previous version in it's entirety. It's a different time now and perhaps should consider a different approach.