12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2013 6:20 PM by Lenny Bucholz

Unigraphics File

Peter Louie Linatoc

Can any one help me to open this file in Solidworks.

This file is made of Unigraphics.

Is this file is need a translator?

Thank you for all the help.

• Re: Unigraphics File
          Michael Lord

Peter,

In both SW 2012 & 2013 the prt starts to open,  the graphic area then goes "Black", the run Import Diagnostics box opens, select "Yes" , no faults display.  But no Part displays and there is an empty Feature tree!

This applies to both Sample 1 & 2.prt

John Lhuillier

Here are both of them translated to a parasolids file. I exported them out of UG for you. Tried to open them in Solidworks but it wouldn't bring in any data.

Stephen Leonard

I have had this issue since having SolidWorks 2013 installed and Updated.  When a UG/NX file is selected to open, I get an empty assembly document, with an empty tree, and no components.  This needs to be patched quickly!

Stephen Leonard

I am unistalling SW2013 and reinstalling SW2012 so that I can work ...

Solidworks really let me down on this latest version.

Lenny Bucholz

here it looks like if the UG\Semiens NX file are 8.0 they will not open only NX7.5 and older. Sorry.

Import and Export File Version Information

The following versions are supported for these file types. All versions are supported for file types not listed.

ACIS (.sat)You can import or export ACIS .sat parts or assembly files up to and including version R21.
                    Autodesk InventorYou can import all Autodesk Inventor parts or assembly files from version 11 and above.
                    CADKEYThe CADKEY translator supports import of surface or solid entities from CADKEY version 19 part or assembly files (*.prt) and version 21 multibody part files (*.ckd), including all later versions.
                    CATIA Graphics (.cgr)You can import or export CATIA Graphics .cgr files up to V5R20.
                    CATIA V5You can import CATIA V5 parts and assemblies up to V5R20.
                    DXF 3D (.dxf)You can import from DXF 3D files AutoCAD version R14 and above.
                    DXF or DWGYou can import from or export to .dxf or .dwg files of version AutoCAD 2010.
                    Highly Compressed Graphics (.hcg)You can export SolidWorks documents as CATIA version 5, release 9 .hcg files.
                    HOOPS (.hsf)You can export SolidWorks documents as HOOPS version 18.16 files.
                    IFCYou can import from or export to IFC .ifc 2x3 parts or assemblies files.
                    IGESYou can import from or export to IGES parts or assemblies .igs files of version 5.3.
                    Mechanical Desktop (.mdt)You can import MDT translator parts or assemblies of version 4.0 or higher.
                    Parasolid (.x_t, .x_b) You can import from or export to Parasolid parts or assemblies files up to and including version 22.
                    Pro/EngineerYou can export to Pro/ENGINEER parts or assemblies files up to Version 20. You can import from Pro/ENGINEER parts or assemblies files up to Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 (formerly Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0.
                    RhinoYou can import version 4 of Rhino .3dm files.
                    Solid EdgeYou can import Parasolid from Solid Edge parts or assemblies up to and including the most current version of Solid Edge.
                    STEPYou can import from or export to STEP Application Protocol AP203/214 parts or assembly files.
                    For import, Conformance Classes 1, 2 (surface data only), 4, 5, and 6 of AP203 are supported. For export, Conformance Classes 1, 4, and 6 of AP203 are supported.
                    STLYou can import from or export to version 1 STL parts and assemblies .stl files.
                    UnigraphicsYou can import parts and assemblies from Unigraphics version 10 and higher, including import of Unigraphics NX 7.5 files.
                    VDAFSYou can import from or export 2 version 2 of VDAFS .vda part files.
                    ViewpointYou can export SolidWorks documents to Viewpoint version 3.0.11 files.
                    VRML (.wrl)You can import from or export to all versions of VRML part or assembly files up to and including VRML version 2 (VRML 97).

Related concepts

Step Files (*.step)

Ryan McVay

I find it funny that SW is still using the brand Unigraphics, it's been retired for over 10 years now.

Anyway, you will notice the issue really isn't with the NX7.5 file but with the Parasolid version. NX is now running on Parasolid version 24.1 and SW is only supporting Parasolid up to 22. You may find the same issues with any update MCAD system using "newer" versions of Parasolid.

This issue may have its root cause in the support of Parasolid vs the "new" kernel??

Lenny Bucholz

Ryan McVay wrote:

I find it funny that SW is still using the brand Unigraphics, it's been retired for over 10 years now.

Anyway, you will notice the issue really isn't with the NX7.5 file but with the Parasolid version. NX is now running on Parasolid version 24.1 and SW is only supporting Parasolid up to 22. You may find the same issues with any update MCAD system using "newer" versions of Parasolid.

This issue may have its root cause in the support of Parasolid vs the "new" kernel??

Ryan,

SW2012 and SW2013 support parasolids 24.0 look at the save options

Francis Cadin

For information, The plug-in i have mentioned above can import files from Ug 15 to NX8.5 in SW 2011 to 2013.

Stephen Leonard

That is the problem ... one of Solidworks big selling points was that you could open and manipulate UG files.  I'm not going to pay for an add-on to provide a functionality that my software promised me at point of purchase.  Solidworks needs to update their internal importers!