18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 9:48 AM by Ryan McVay

EPDM search tool results

Justin Hoidahl

Is there a way to search the results from the search tool. For example search for bearing and then search the results for stainless steel. I've looked into several options for this and I know I can use variables to search but want something simpler for our users.

• Re: EPDM search tool results
          Laura Whittle

What are you trying to search? Is bearing one variable and then material a different variable?  Or are you searching the same variable such as the description?

If you are searching one variable - bearing, then have another variable such as material, but don't want to search on both variables. You could create a column view so that after they search bearing, they can then click the column view to sort by material.

Personally I would just use variables in the search as it is quite simple. You can even set up favorite searches so they don't have to type anything into the search.

Justin Hoidahl

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to search the same description variable. We have a huge standard library with lots of configs that we are trying to break up. I'm trying to use the search tool to locate the new library files we are creating with no configs. We have a naming convention in the description field such as BRG_INS_100_SS. I want the users to be able to search for BRG and narrow down their search from there.

Tim Webb

I know you've got this one Laura but I saw it and was in the search tool.

Give this a shot Justin

multiple criteria search.JPG

Tim  CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com

Justin Hoidahl

I've tried that and it may be our only option, but if the user doesn't put the information in the correct order the search results are different.

Justin Hoidahl

Is it possible to set up a search card with multiple fields all searching the same variable for different information? Similar to how I have the variables set up in the screen shot. That way the users would not have to select the search conditions.

search variables.PNG

Tim Webb

Justin, using the *parameter*parameter* method has worked well for me for years so with all due respect, nothing can stop the user from entering information in the correct order except training.

Ok, here's a shot in the dark!

EPDM report tool - You could create a query that accepts inputs from the user and Jason's idea of searching based on the variable value may be just what you need but even so, what if the user enters the wrong information here?

Just outside of that - What would be ideal is to have a pull down of available values for the 1st section of the part number, another pull down of available values for the 2nd section...so on and so on...then have the utility concatenate the search query string into the SQL query and run it.

I built one of those once...it's not too hard but definitely a project.

Tim  CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com

Wayne Matus

If you enable content searching by setting up indexing, you can  accomplish this.

Jason Capriotti

Wayne, I didn't think this would work unless you pushed the meta data to file via attributes? Not all files store metadata.....although most of the common files like SolidWorks, Word, Excel, etc. do. PDFs do but ePDM cannot push data to them. I'm not sure about AutoCAD, ePDM pushes to the AutoCAD block attributes but I don't know if the indexing can read that info.

Wayne Matus

Jason,

Let me clarify, The indexing will search for text in the document, it does not have to be stored in the metadata. For example, If you create a pdf of a drawing, it will index all the text in the pdf file, including text in the title block and notes.

Indexing does require iFilters to be installed on the indexing server, typically the database server. EPDM does come with iFilter for SolidWorks files, but SolidWorks does have to be installed in the indexing server for it to read the text inside files. Pretty cool though, it can read the feature manager tree. So if you wanted to do a where used on a library feature, you could.

iFilter for MS Office files in included with either Indexing Service or EPDM, nothing to install separately. EPDM does include a GZ filter, but you do have to check that when you install EPDM.

Adobe does make a free iFilter for PDF files and Foxit and others have some that you can purchase. I think there are iFilters for AutoCAD files, but not sure.content search.png

Jason Capriotti

I was thinking he wanted to keep his searched narrowed down to just the "Description" field.

We use the indexing on our server. For PDFs we use the Foxit iFilter. I didn't know about it find items int eh feature tree if Solidworks is installed on the server, great tip, thanks. I wonder if it will search equation variables......that would be a nice where-used option.