I re-ran my train on track study just in case the extra RAM I installed for FEA made a difference.
Predictably it did not.
So why might my study run well but terminate early?
ny improvements if the assembly isn't lightweight?
any mates that might cause things to get locked? that would be my guess
but you also have a lot of contact.
if we got one of these on tech support, we'd spend some time narrowing down what element is causing the issue. you could play with solver parameters, choice of solver, contact conditions, bushing parameters..etc, but it really helps to know which element is causing the problem.
If your train is using rolling contact it can be tricky. Typically rolling contact is well approximated by a frictionless slider. If that approximation works for whatever you are trying to do go there. If not, you need to be very careful in defining hte joints that make up the rolling elements and you need to ensure you have no redundancies in your joints. Rolling contact is very compute intensive as well but it can be made to work but a lot of the time it isn't worth the effort.
I resolved all bodies and re ran the study and it went full term.
I cannot readily check that this is repeatable as the study takes about 3 days.
In the past I tried minimising SW in order to do something else while the study was running but I found that Windows would not release the desktop space.
3 day motion study! wow. john, when you're done, i'd love to see the animation or if you want to try it on a more powerful system, i've got a few at my disposal. contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Before I ship it I will take some time out from my present project to improve the presentation, which was not something I worried about when the train was unable to complete its journey.
Retrieving data ...