4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2013 2:38 PM by Justice Sommer

Polygons viable in printed part.

Justice Sommer

This is my first 3D modeling project and I am completely self taught.  So please excuse my ignorance as I try to explain the issue I’m having.

I’m using Solidworks, and my parts have a lot of curved surfaces.  I found that when I received my printed parts from Shapeways, the polygons were visible on the curved surfaces.  The attached photo shows the problem.

Do I need to use more polygons somehow?  If so, where in Solidworks would I control that?

I've been unable to find any info on this.  I’m really as a loss so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1. PS.  I outputted the parts as .STL files, if that maters

• Re: Polygons viable in printed part.
          Jim Wilkinson

Hi Justin,

You can set the resolution of the STL file. The information about how to do so is in the help. Here is a URL for searching "STL" in the help file:

http://help.solidworks.com/Search.aspx?query=stl&version=2013&lang=English&prod=SolidWorks

The second topic talks about STL export options including resolution. The first result is a general topic on STL Files which also has a link to the export options help topic.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Justice Sommer

Hi Jim

Thank you SO much.  I feel a little silly that I couldn't find or figure that out on my own. 

I found Deviation and Angle in the Resolution field and turned them all the way up.  It apprears to make a big differance.  One of my parts is a dome shape and now looks smooth as butter.  However the cone part (that I used in my example picture) still appears to have some geometry lines (although much less).  I'll attache images of each

Any idea why the cone still looks as pollygonish while the dome is completly smooth?

Thanks again for any help.

domes.jpg

cones new.jpg

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Justice,

I am not seeing the same behavior. If I crank the angle resolution all the way to the right, I get a VERY smooth cone. Note that in general, the shaded display on the screen is not related to the STL output resolution. The display quality on the screen is controlled by the settings on this options page: http://help.solidworks.com/2013/English/solidworks/sldworks/hidd_options_image_quality_display.htm

The only exception is if you use the preview option in the STL output dialog. it will show a wireframe preview of the triangles that will be produced and once you exit the options dialog, the shaded display will actually update to the same resolution. However, after the next model rebuild, it will go back to using the settings for the regular shaded display as set in the options dialog noted above.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Justice Sommer

After monkeying around a bit I discovered something...  To create the cone I would draw a right triangle and then use Revolved Boss/Base to make the cone shape.  This lead to an STL that appeared to have polygone lines on it.

However if I created the cone by drawing a circle and using Extrude Bose/Base with a Draft (bringing it to a point) the STL appears smooth.

Upon further investigation I discovered that the STL created with the Extrude tool had exactly twice as many triangles (2876 vs 1438).

Obviously I have NO idea why this is, but there ya go.