5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2013 12:08 PM by Jerry Steiger

Rebuild ignores changes

J. R.

Hi all,

I'm making a very complex ship  project in Solidworks. Since I don't know many dimensions yet (for example, dimensions of materials, like thickness of plywood, dimensions of some tubes, and similar), I'm trying to make this  project adaptive: on assembly level I have one "Control" sketch, which contains dimensions  for these unknown materials, and many dimensions in various parts are linked to that "Control" sketch dimensions via equations. The idea is that I can finish the whole project, and then alter that "Control" sketch dimensions, and the whole project will update, so I won't have to go through each individual sketch to update new dimensions. For example, "Control" sketch has this "tube diameter" dimension, and MANY dimensions in various sketches has link "=tube_diameter@Control_sketch@Assembly.SLDASM", so I only have to change dimension in that one "Control" sketch, and every linked dimension would auto-update.

Problem is, that when I change something in that "Control" sketch, and press Rebuild (ctrl b), the project doesn't always update - or it only updates some parts. If I go into each individual sketch, and change nothing, just open up, and then exit, it will update - but won't with general Rebuild command.

Tried ctrl q, didn't help either.

What could be the problem? I'm 100% sure all equations are linked and correct. Maybe it's because that this "Control" sketch is in Assembly level, not in individual part, and is rebuilt last, so it doesn't affect any parts?

P.S. I'm using this "Control" sketch instead of Assembly level Global Variables because GV tends to slow down everything, especially rebuilding.

If needed, I can upload the whole project, but it's big and complex (and not in English), so tell me if it's absolutely neccessary.

I would appreciate any help.

• Re: Rebuild ignores changes
          Anna Wood

Try a Ctrl Q rebuild.  This will rebuild the entire feature tree.  You may need to do this a couple times depending on how circular your references are in your modeling.

Ctrl B only rebuilds from that point in the tree down.

Cheers,

Anna

J. R.

As I said, I tried ctrl q as well. Tried again now - many times, also in combinations with ctrl b - nothing changes.

P.S. I try to make as little circular referencing as possible. It breaks down as this: Control sketch -> control part -> all other parts (never linked or referenced to each other).

Jerry Steiger

J.R.,

My first suggestion is to send it in to your VAR so that they can help you with it or send it on to SolidWorks.

You might try inserting your Control Sketch Part into every part that has a link to the sketch. I'm not sure if this can be easily done after the fact. Roll back to the beginning of your dependent part's feature tree and try Insert Part.

Jerry S.

J. R.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what are you suggesting. How would I do that? Let's forget that "control part", it isn't mandatory for my scheme to work. Let's say that "Control sketch" which is in Assembly level controls all other parts.

Jerry Steiger

J.R.,

Save your Control Sketch as a Part. Open up each of the parts that requires a link to the Control Sketch. Roll back to the top of the Feature Tree. Insert/Part and browse to the Control Sketch Part. Try this on one of the parts that is not updating properly now. If it works, try it on the rest of the parts that require a link.

Jerry S.