13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2014 1:49 PM by Charles Culp

SolidWorks SharePoint Integration?

Pieter Temmerman

Dear all,

I am a SharePoint developer and I'm looking for professional confirmation on information that I have gathered. As I do not have the required acces, I can not acces the knowledge DB (S-051851 & S-037515 ?). I can not find the necessary information on the site.

Does the most recent version of SolidWorks EPDM have a SharePoint exporting functionality standard into it or does it still require a third-party tool like d2m3 (http://www.solidworks.com/sw/products/details.htm?productID=4117 ) to make the export of pdf files work?

Greetings,

Pieter

• Re: SolidWorks SharePoint Integration?
          Pieter Temmerman

Guys, pretty please?

Can anyone confirm that you can export your PDF's to SharePoint with the Enterprise PDM version?

Does this include metadata?

Greetings,

Pieter

Pieter Temmerman

Further digging got me the following information:

1) Contacting a third-party ePDM SharePoint connector organization:

Situation: I presume they did not update their tool at the moment since I can not find the add-on for the latest version.

Question I posed: Could you confirm that your SolidWorks Enterprise PDM to SharePoint connector add-on can handle SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013?

Answer:  We do not necessary have a solution but experience working with SharePoint and Enterprise PDM. 

Note: their screenshots showed SharePoint 2007 only.

2) Contacting another third-party ePDM SharePoint connector organization:

Situation: I presume they also abandonned development since the add-on is not in their list of products at the moment.

Question I posed: Could you confirm that your SolidWorks Enterprise PDM to SharePoint connector add-on can handle SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013?

Their answer included a brochure that showed me all the functionalities I needed (synchronisation, metadata export, ...) and it had screenshots of SharePoint 2010 (meaning it should work with SharePoint 2013).

3) Sending an e-mail to SolidWorks requesting information got me the following:

Thank you for contacting Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks Corp. Technical Support.

We have received your e-mail, and the following Service Request has been generated for this issue: SR #  XXXXXX

Any further email correspondence regarding this Service Request should be sent to customercenterSR@solidworks.com by replying to this message. Please include this message in full in your reply.

One of our Technical Support Engineers will respond to this request as soon as possible.

So far no answer.

Unfortunatly I still do not know if there a standard functionality into the latest version of SolidWorks PDM that allows exports to SharePoint? Could anyone please give me some insight on this?

Greetings,
              Pieter

Jason Capriotti

Pieter, there is nothing standard in ePDM related to Sharepoint. You would have to program something yourself or use one of these 3rd party tools.

There are ways to export out PDFs to a folder location somewhere using the task scheduler but that's not going to get you any metadata to go with it. You could possibly export out the metadata to an xml file though. But then you need a way to get that into Sharepoint.

I don't have experience with sharepoint but we do export data out of ePDM with vb.net so if you have that background its not hard to write something can do it.

Jeff Sweeney

Did you look at d2m3's Sharepoint connector? I've been told it works with EPDM 2013. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ErcX2bFuKA

Pieter Temmerman

Hey Jeff,

d2m3 was the only 3rd party company that I did not contact due to their brochure on the SolidWorks site only indicates integration till SharePoint 2007 (so I thought it was abandonned and continued my search for products with an integration to at least SP2010). A check at their website made clear that that brochure is absolutely old and that they seem to have a newer version.

Our client wasnt happy with the company we proposed (bad experience) and requested another supplier so I will contact d2m3. If we continue to purchase they should thank you .

Further information: no SharePoint 2013 connector has been found so far, every contacted supplier has them in development, not finished.

Greetings,
                        Pieter

Charles Culp

We will be doing this in the next upcoming few months... Will keep you posted.

Tom Helsley

Pardon my ignorance on SharePoint, but what is the benefit?  We looked at it years ago, and it seemed pretty meaningless and fuzzy.

Pieter Temmerman

In case of our customer the question came from their sales and marketing department.

- Sales wants to be able to show the newest models to customers and already gather interest for new products on their customers base. The advantage of SharePoint is that Sales can easily acces this from anywhere and on any device (for example an App), the security is separate and very controllable. They would retrieve the .pdf format from EPDM, the third party tools allow to keep the PDF synchronized to EPDM's latest version, there is also metadata and a version history wich they can show.

- The secondary goal is to create more interaction inside the company. Getting the customers requests from the sales department to the engineers directly with the help of SharePoint and SharePoint Social features (including Yammer).

Tom Helsley

Ah, so use SharePoint as a "viewer" for the PDM data & files, and for things like ECRs and project message forums?  Interesting possibilities there.

Charles Culp

My understanding is that SharePoint's capabilites extend far beyond just document control. It integrates with MS Project, Powerpoint, etc, and provides a customizable "dashboard" written in html/xml so you can create project-specific interfaces. On a users' dashboard can be a widget to track project schedule, project cost, sales data, engineering data, and a folder with all of the released drawings (in PDF, in our case).

We have a folder that EPDM writes to, and then SharePoint will "pull" from this folder and auto-populate our release drawings directory. This has not yet been implemented.

I'm not sure we will be interested in swapping metadata. If someone wants to see a drawing history, or other pertinent information, it is my opinion they should look in EPDM.