6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 5:00 PM by James Denney

Copy to New Dynamic Study dialog box?

James Denney

I'm running full Simulation 2012 SP 5...the manual indicates I should be able to create a new linear dynamic from a frequency via the following method...

"The copy to new dynamic study dialog box let's you copy current frequency study to a new linear dynamic study by right clicking the frequency study icon and selecting 'Copy to New Dynamic Study' ".

Fair enough...but when I do this...all I see available is simply "Copy" which doesn't seem to do anything...anyone successfully used this feature? I've right-clicked nearly everything trying to find this dialog box...I have results from the frequency study so it appears to have run successfully.

• Re: Copy to New Dynamic Study dialog box?
          Anthony Botting

Hi James: there should be a study "tab", as well, at the bottom of the window which should be labeled the name of your frequency study. I am wondering if you tried to right click on that thing?

James Denney

Yes...good point, but to no avail...just see the typical info there..."Duplicate...rename..etc."

Anthony Botting

Oh. I checked and it's not there on mine, either (SW 2013). So, I was wrong about that, but it does show-up on the icon as you first wrote. This could be a 'service pack' issue - or - sometimes I have found that shutting down the software and restarting and re-loading the 'add-in' and the CAD model from scratch can clear things-up, for reasons unknown to me. It has worked in the past on a few occasions. If that does not work, it would be best to contact your subscription service provider as they are better equipped to trouble-shoot.

James Denney

Thanks Anthony! I appreciate the help...I'll mess around with the addins/loading procedures and see what happens...at least I know where the dialog should be now...cheers!

Jared Conway

2013 SP3.0

for nonlinear it (create dynamic) is available from RMB the study tab and choosing duplicate and checking the box

for frequency, it is a RMB from the top of the study tree (basically the study name)

can you try with a brand new study. there may be elements that you add to a frequency study that make it not available to go to a dynamic study.

the other possibilty i'm thinking is, do you have a sim premium license? maybe that option isn't available if you only have a sim pro license.

James Denney

Aha...I created a simple cantilever beam, ran a freq analysis, and the option was available. I also created a simple assembly with mixed mesh types, ran it, and the option was available. So that suggests something I've done to my large assembly may have voided that dialog box...now just to figure out what.   I deleted all studies, removed the Simulation addin, closed out Solidworks, ran maintenance cleanup, reopened my assembly, opened up Simulation, and created a new freq study to see if I got rid of any cobwebs that may have been holding things up. We shall see...

Thanks again to both you and Anthony for helping troubleshoot this one...

Message was edited by: James Denney *UPDATE* I'm sure the more knowledgeable folks would reply with a "DUH!" but I had a part in my assembly which was designated "rigid body"; this prevented me from exporting a New Dynamic Study...