10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 12:14 AM by Lawson Jones

Modify Page Numbers to allow for extra non-Drawing sheets

Charles Culp

Right now, I can use $PRP:"SW-Current Sheet" and $PRP:"SW-Total Sheets" to show the number of sheets on a drawing. What I want, is to be able to attach a change notice inside the solidworks drawing. This will mean that the page numbering will always be off, because these additional sheets are not drawing sheets but the change notice.

Does anyone know of a way to modify SW-Total Sheets to make it conditionally less than the actual total?

I know there is a way, with part/assembly files to do this type of thing, but I'm not sure how to implement this with my drawings. Here is a link to a discussion about doing math in custom properties: https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/22508

To make it more complicated, not all drawings will have page numbers that are off, some will still be correct.

I would be very excited to hear if someone has already found a solution, before I dig deeper.

• Re: Modify Page Numbers to allow for extra non-Drawing sheets
          Richard Wehmeyer

Do you want this in a particular drawing or in your templates?

Lawson Jones

Hi Charles,

I am currently in a similar situation where our drawing shows page 1 of 2 and the guys in the work shop are coming into the office saying they are missing drawings, however the second sheet is only used for the laser cutter, and never printed as an actual drawing.

Did you manage to find a solution to your problem?  If so I am keen to hear how you did it and hopefully employ the same method here.

Regards

Lawson

Charles Culp

Lawson,

I managed to get around this by using an EPDM check-in dispatch (script that runs on every check-in).

PageNumberScript.png

The above script:

If there is not a DCN Number, then set the number of pages equal to the real number of pages

If there is a DCN Number (and thus an extra sheet), then set the number of pages to the real number of pages - 1.

Then, on the drawing sheet I use a Custom Property called "PagesWithDCN", and link to that in the sheet format. This has been working well for us for a few months, so I will call it a success.

Without EPDM, I do not know of a way to automatically run a script on every file. You could make a VB macro, but then you have to remember to run it every time.

Mark Coville

Charles,

We have additional PDF's that we attach in our drawing set so our total sheet count is off as well. What I do is I set a custom property in the drawing to Total Sheet Count then use that custom property in my title block. Then you can change the sheet count manually or put $PRP:"SW-Total Sheets" in the custom properties. I also do this with date.

Lawson Jones

Hi Charles,

I didn't even realise that there was such a tool!!  This certainly leads me to wanting to do a bit more research into the Dispatch Add-In, and hopefuly I can use it to streamline our work a bit more.

I managed to be able to get your solution working however will need to spend some more time making it more applicable for to my given situation.  Really appreciated your input though it has saved me many hours of head scratching.

The way that we have our drawings setup is in reverse to yours, with the sheet we do not want to number being the first sheet(s) in the .slddrw file.  This is currently a laser profile for a supplier which we have previously found likes drawings in this specific format...  This means that I would need to further change your dispatch so that I can change "Sheet A of B" to effectively be "Sheet (A-1) of (B-1)".  Following your setup the B-1 was straight forward, but the A-1 seemed more difficult.

I am guessing this might be an easier change to make via changing our drawing process rather then our drawing format.

Thanks again for your help, and I will look further into this after I get back from holidays!!

Regards

Lawson

Roland Schwarz

Can't attach PDFs to the drawing's Design Binder?

Opinion:  Sounds like a most hateful practice.  No PDM or other filing system for change notices?  I hate using drawings for repositories of all the crap people are too lazy to look up.