10 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 3:53 AM by Ralph Guzman

recommended mouse to use with M6700 Dell laptop using SolidWorks

Ralph Guzman

recommended mouse to use with M6700 Dell laptop using SolidWorks

• Re: recommended mouse to use with M6700 Dell laptop using SolidWorks
          Anna Wood

What features are you looking for in a mouse?  Small and wireless or some other characteristics?

Cheers,

Anna

Keith Carter

I have been using the Logitech Anywhere MX. I like it for SolidWorks, here is why...

Works on any surface including glass.

Small but still comfortable.

The transceiver is small enough to leave plugged into the laptop.

Comes with a nice pouch to keep it from getting beat up.

Software allows custom setup.

The one issue that won't be obvious when looking at it online or in the package is that the wheel does not act as the middle button. When the wheel is pushed it mechanically switches from indented scrolling to free scrolling. The button directly behind the wheel is set default as "application switcher" (this spreads all open applications out on the screen so one can be chosen). For SolidWorks, this button can be remapped as the "middle button" to be used to rotate the model. This works well for me because I am usually using a 3Dconnexion Space Navigator. When I don't dig out the navigator, the remapped button is not hard to get used to.

The transition from desktop to laptop in regards to model rotation is not an issue for me as I'm using Space Pilot on the desktop. It would be up to you to decide if the difference from "mouse wheel" rotation (desktop) to "button behind wheel" rotation would be an issue for you.

The setup software does allow application specific custom setups ... However, the "left click", "right click" and "middle button" can't be changed for custom setups. Once you re-map the middle button to act as a middle button is will be that way for all applications.

Hope this helps ...

Jim Wilkinson

I'll also put my vote for the Logitech Anywhere MX. Besides what Keith mentions, I like the following:

1. As Keith says, small but very comfortable and in addition, I like the weighting of it.
                2. I really like the separation of mouse wheel and middle button. Yes, it takes a small amount of time to get used to a separate button near the wheel, but you don't get any unwanted scrolls when trying to hit the button like some mice produce.
                3. I like the ability to turn off the indented scrolling. Most of the time, I like the indents, but when I get to a long document or web page, with just a click of the wheel, it is in free scroll and it is weighted very well so you can "throw" it to go to the bottom or top of a long document. I use that a lot reading threads in this forum.
                4. There are two programmable buttons on the left side accessed with your thumb (if you are right handed). They are pre-programmed as Back and Forward and I use those a lot while web browsing.
                5. It uses the Logitech Unifying receiver. This is a tiny USB receiver that you can stick in a laptop and just leave in because it is so small (don't have to take it out when you put your laptop in your bag). Also, you can program multiple mice to use the same receiver. So I never have to remember to grab my mouse when leaving work, I have one mouse on my desk at work, one at home downstairs, and one upstairs (so I don't even have to remember the mouse when switching floors ). They all work off the one antenna in the USB port. I may even get a forth mouse to put in my backpack so when I have to use my laptop unplanned away from the office or home, I always have one with me.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Joe Kuzich

I have big hands and have trouble with a lot of the smaller mice.  I got used to the Microsoft 4000 for my laptop and ended up liking the feel of it.  Problem is it is not well made and I was replacing it every 6 - 12 months.  The adhesive holding the rubber sides on would let go as well as the adhesive holding the rubber ring on the middle mouse button (and that's annoying). 

At work I use a Logitech M705 and really like it.  Last time I went to replace my laptop mouse I went with a Logitech M510 (I needed one fast and couldn't find a M705) and it has been pretty nice too.  They are a little bigger but still fit in the pocket of my laptop bag.  The M705 has an extra button hidden under the rubber at the bottom of your thumb.  Mine is set up to show all the open programs your running so you can easily switch between them.  It took some getting used to as I would accidentally hit it often, but now that I'm used to it I really like it.

I really like the idea of being able to program the receiver in the MX as Jim was saying.  Wonder if all the Logitechs can do this...

Really your best bet is to find something you like the feel & weight of.

Keith Carter

Another note about Logitech ...

I use a Performance MX for my desktop. A year or so ago, the one I had developed an intermittent problem. It was not always holding a click during a click and drag. I sent an e-mail to Logitech customer service describing the problem in detail. I expected to have go through the usual send the product back with an RA and they will determine etc etc ... Instead, I got a very quick e-mail in return stating that a complete new unit was sent out. This is amazing customer service and means a lot when I'm choosing or recommending accessories.

Joe,  As long as the unit states it has a "Unifying Receiver" then it can be program as Jim described.

pablo gutierrez

I use a gaming mouse by Razer.

Deathadder 3500DPI

the side buttons can be programmed (macro) with solidworks

I use the two side buttons (undo) & (redo)

Michael Lord

I would recommend another Logitech product with uses the same Logitech Unifying receiver.

That is the Logitech M570 Trackball

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570

Hugh advantange over using a mouse!  Especially when travelling! Your hand sits still. All control is with thumb and forefinger.

Great for Solidworks, You can rotate, zoom all in a simple action!

It will take 10mins to get use to it compared to a mouse!

No more carpal arm pains!

Good battery life! 12mth use 12hours a day!

Ralph Guzman

I would like to thank you all for your feed back. After careful consideration I narrowed down to Logitech M570, G700 and

Logitech Performance Mouse MX