9 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2013 11:24 AM by Jared Conway

is it possible to mix these two simulations

Steve Riley

hi i would like to simulate an enignes intake system.

i know i can do a fluid simulation of an instake manifold but i would like to simulate it fro the air filter into the cylinders so here is what i would like to know

can i create a motion study say of a valve openig and clocsin via a cam.

and then do a fluid simulation ontop of that so when the valve is closed fluid is tarpped and when open i get the flow past the valve.

this would be better than just simulatin it from the air intake andthen back out of the air intake reason is you get to see the full scope and flow past the valve throught the

whole animation.

is this possible?

• Re: is it possible to mix these two simulations
          Chris Michalski

SW Flow Simulation will not do this.  It meshes the model at the beginning of the simulation and defines each point in space as a solid or a fluid.  In order for a valve to open it would have to change from solid to fluid. 

The best you "might" be able to do would be to run a time dependent for the period where the valve is open, then use those results as the initial conditions of a second time dependent with the valve closed.  You wouldn't get any partial valve opening information but with a small enough time step you might be able to work up to something similar to reality.

• Re: is it possible to mix these two simulations
            Jared Conway

Steve, do you want to simulate or do you want to animate? Meaning, do you just want to learn/understand the physics or do you just want to show something?

If you want to understand the physics, you'll have to go with Abaqus or something similar that has FSI like Dave suggests. Or workaround Flow's limitation with a transient analysis or similar.

If you want to animate, I think you're stuck too but you might be able to do something fancy in a video editing software once you create the animation in SolidWorks.