3 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2013 11:14 AM by Jared Conway

Analysis help

Yuvaraj Dhanasekar

Hi

I am doing an analysis on splined shaft. My aim here is to find the stresses on disc(see the attachment).  The shaft transmits a torque of 4200Nm.  Am facing a problem with boundary condition...any suggestions what boundary condition to use??....

• Re: Analysis help
          Jared Conway

what about fixing the shaft

contact between the 2 components

restraint hte disk a bit so that it doesnt' fly off (maybe in the axial direction)

apply the torque on the disk

Yuvaraj Dhanasekar

1. if i constraint in axial alone it shows large displacement.....for torque to be applied i need to constraint the disc circumferentially(is it necessary???)..  Only then software runs. else it shows model is unstable.

2. can we take Results from large displacement ??...stress values at particular location by probing??....displacement results are absurd..

Jared Conway

let's take a step back and start simpler.

start by fixing all the teeth on your disk (eliminate the shaft) and run the analysis with your torque. see if it works. then you can start adding some complexity.

if you get the large displacement warning and choose the option "no" the results are junk. you can use them for troubleshooting your model but it needs to be run in large displacement mode or with nonlinear. to make sure your load is reasonable and your setup is ok, start by reducing the load and seeing if it solves without it.