4 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2013 11:39 AM by Tim Webb

how do I map Altium data parameters to EPDM

Bruce Becker

want to have the document number, title and a few other parameters in an Altium drawing *.SchDoc populate the data card in EPDM.

Looks like it is done with the Variables tab in PDM Administration.

Do not know what the Block value is for a Altium file, the document parameter in Altium is DocumentNumber which looks like become Attribute in the Edit Variable screen.

Am I close?

• Re: how do I map Altium data parameters to EPDM
          Steve Ostrovsky

I'm not sure that Altium can be mapped to an EPDM data card. SolidWorks, DWG, MS Office, Inventor, Creo, SolidEdge, CALS, XML, Outlook and Ini files are most of what I know.

Does Altium have general Windows Properties that you can see with a RMB in Windows Explorer? If so, you might be able to get in there somehow with some trial and error. If you care to post a file or send it to me, I'll be happy to try. Have had a few customers with Altium, but none needed to integrate.

Tim Webb

Bruce,

Our EE's use Altium.

From my experience, not all Altium generated files have custom properties that can be mapped to update within the files but some do. Like the .SchDoc, .PcbDoc, and one or two other I can't remember. The problem is that is only 10% of the total files that get generated from Altium. Because of this, it is not feasible to try to use mapped properties to data cards.

Instead, due to the large number of referenced files that do not have custom properties but get created with with PCB layouts, gerbers, fabs, assys, schematics, our engineers do the Altium work outside EPDM and zip up the files into a package and it represents one REV that goes through the release process as a package.

We use the data card for tracking, scheduling, and routing though.

Hope this helps,

Tim CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com

Bruce Becker

Tim

This helps a lot.

It is on the  SchDoc files that we what to share the meta data with EPDM.

We use some SchDoc files standalone sort of like autocadd.

was not sure what the fields are called in SchDoc to map to EPDM.

Sort of new to EPDM and this is the first time we have tried mapping from EPDM to Altuim.

Seem to see how to do it, however on the variable side of EPDM not sure what Block to pick that for the SchDoc file type.

Thanks

Bruce

Tim Webb

Bruce,

I recommend setting up a testbed area for testing and prototyping.

In there setup the variables as custom properties mapped to the proper names. You can get the names from right clicking on a SchDoc file and looking at the "Custom" tab.

I am not sure how you would push any values "into" Altium because we ended up not going this route so I do not have experience to share with you.

Let us know your solution.

Best of luck!

Tim CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com