6 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2013 6:45 AM by Marc Engeler

CAD & Rendering on Terminal Server

Marc Engeler

Hey,

I would like to install SolidWorks on a Terminal Server in our Company with a lot of CPU and GPU power for Rendering purpose. We want to do photorealistic images and complex motion analysis of our systems.

Currently there are 5-6 people involved in this subject and we thought about installing a new server for this application. About licensing etc. it would be like that, that only one user would acces the server at any given time, so there should be no issue.

Does anyone of you know what the performance is of running SW on a Server. How smooth is it via the internal ethernet (1 Gbit/s)?

Best Regards

• Re: CAD & Rendering on Terminal Server
          Alan Sweetenham

First of all GPU has no effect if you are using Photoview 360 for rendering, only CPU makes a difference.

Secondly If you have solidworks 2013 you may nor necessarily  need to install solidworks on teh server or even a license. SolidWorks 2013 supports network rendering.

All you require is to install the photoview 360 network render client on teh server and set it running in "client mode" This would then be available for other machines to use if they tick "network rendering" under photoview options. You may want to experiment with the client workload settings to offload more of the task ot the server. 

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_network_rendering.htm

The only issue i see is with some resources being tied up on teh clients still when you set the rendering. If you still want to go the route of installing solidworks on the server then i'll leave it to others to comment on how smooth it is via server/ network not a setup i am familiar with apart from the odd customer using citrix.

On the other task of motion analysis i believe that is mostly single threaded if you are talking about simulaiton motion? but would have to check that is still the case with 2013

Alan

Anna Wood

PV360 is a CPU renderer so you do not need to have a video card installed on the server.

What simulation program are you running?  Does it take advantage of the gpu?

What are the hardware specs of your server?

I run a render farm and have a number of SuperMicro servers as render nodes.  You want fast, modern cpu's with a lot of cores and lots of RAM. No video cards are installed.  I remote desktop into the systems.

Properly spec'ed servers work just fine as a remote node running SolidWorks and PV360 for rendering.

Cheers,

Anna

Alan Sweetenham

Anna Wood wrote:

What simulation program are you running?  Does it take advantage of the gpu?

What are the hardware specs of your server?

Cheers,

Anna

I was presuming when he said "complex  motion analysis" he was using SolidWorks Motion,  if marc can confirm this i did just do a  quick couple of tests here shows CPU usage of  12-13% on a 4 core machine (with hyperthreading) so looks like its mostly single threaded meaning CPU speed is the priority for that aspect. I doubt this will change as ultimately one step/frame of the animation has to be calculated to know what is going to happen next!

Alan

Anna Wood

On the remote access.  You only want to setup your render or simulation to run.  Basically open your file and hit the run command.

SolidWorks can be a bit painful to work on over a remote connection.  You want to do as much setup on your workstation.  Just use the node for the final calls to run.

Cheers,

Anna

Anna Wood

You may want to look into the Boxx systems for render/simulation nodes.

http://boxxtech.com/simulation-rendering-solutions

Cheers,

Anna