1 Reply Latest reply on May 23, 2013 11:33 AM by Jared Conway

Flow Simulation not detecting car body

Guy Davis

Hi everyone, just recently signed up so bear with me !

For a project at Uni i am designing a body for a formula student car, its been a steep learning curve but im managing.

Im about half way through and have now come to the stage where  i thought i should test it using the flow simulation. But the package doesnt pick up the body,

ive seen on the internet this may be down to the body having no thickness. So i thickened the body using the guides on the internet.

But now it wont even run the tests and i get a message saying it cant test due to volume or something along those lines. I cant remember the message exactly but

can always update this post tommorow when i can test using the flow simulation software at uni.

Ill attach the body, so if someone feels really helpfull you may be able to thicken the correct/easy way to allow the flow simulation software to detect my body.

Any help would be great, as i say ill try update tommorow with the message that pops up

Thanks, Bob

• Re: Flow Simulation not detecting car body
          Jared Conway

there have been a bunch of these on the forum recently. take a look and see if some of the suggestions will help. here's one of them: https://forum.solidworks.com/message/348299#348299

regarding the file that you uploaded, it was just a surface model. i think you forgot to post the one that you were having trouble with.

the big thing here is that you need a solid and it needs to not have any gaps/pockets in it if you can avoid it. if you can't, make sure internal spaces are ignored in your simulation.

otherwise, setting up an external flow analysis should be simple like the ones in the tutorials/training.

i'd suggest starting with a big block to get the process down then just use a replace component or similar to remove the block and drop your model in. if you have problems, you know it isn't the setup, it is your model. at that point you need to do the standard tests like checking for interferences, making sure it survives ctrl-q with verification on rebuild, no import problems, no invalid contacts...etc.