8 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2013 2:58 AM by Joachim Stallmann

Display issues

Joachim Stallmann

Hi

I recently moved to SW 2012 x63. When I open a part/drawing/assembly SW opens it but the displays it incorrect, see image below. I cant drag the window to display over the whole area. The size ov the display area also varies from full screen to almost nothing. It resizes after every action, aka after I extrude or draw something. Has someone seen this? What should I do?

Thank you

Joachim

SW_capture.JPG

• Re: Display issues
          Patrick O'Hern

Make sure your graphics card has the latest Certified driver from the SW website.  I use to have issues that look similar to what you are dealing with, and it ended up being graphic card issue.

Jeff Holliday

I agree with Patrick. It would also be helpful to let us know what graphics card is being used. Is it SW-certified? There can be problems even with a certified card, but they would be less and more manageable than with any of the many non-certified ones.

Joachim Stallmann

Thanks for the fast reply. I am using a NVidia GeForce GT 610. I checked the SW Graphics card drivers but they only list the FX ank K ranges. They can surley not be limited to them, or I hope thats not the case. Will check on a diffrent PC later today.

Thanks again, apreciate it

Patrick O'Hern

GeForce cards are not certified by SolidWorks, only Quadro and FirePro cards are.  You can try updating to the latest driver available for your card on NVidia's site, but there are no guarentees it will work.

Joachim Stallmann

Thnks for the help. I updated the Graphics driver without any luck. I will trie to get a diffrent card. It is however sad that SW moved away from their mission to develope 3D CAD software that is easy-to-use, affordable and available on the Windows desktop. Thank you anyway

Walter Fetsch

Let's give credit where credit is due.  While it would be great if SW would support the use of gamer cards, the price of a pro card that is approved is very reasonable; $150 will get you a card that does a very good job with SW.  I think that qualifies as affordable.

Jeff Holliday

In addition to what Walter said, this is not something that has changed. There has been a "certified" hardware and driver list on the SW website for many years.

"Easy to use and affordable" is very subjective and needs to be judged relatively against similar products. It is more complicated and costly than "Sketchup" but it does much more also. The last part of what you claim to be the SW mission statement (Windows desktop availability) is still relevant and accurate.

Don't misunderstand - I would like very much for it to be less expensive, easier to use, bug free, etc. I do feel that at this point, it still provides good value.

Joachim Stallmann

SW is a really good program. TheSW guys probably created the best CAD program there is as it is packed full of amazing features but still keeping it intuitive.

I must add that I am not a expert at all but what is very confusing that one needs a "moderatly priced" graphics card to render a SW part while programs like Blender, AfterEffects and Co dont seem to have any problems at all rendering . There might be a good reason for this, and maybe its only a glitch with the current hardware setup I have. Since this is a University PC it will be difficult to get the University to change all  the graphics cards of this batch of computers, but I will try.

On the bright side I foung that SW 2012 works perfectly with a NVidia GT 650M or even with a Inter HD Graphics 4000 graphic engine. I will just use those for SW.

Thanks again