21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2013 10:38 PM by Scott Harvey

Very disappointed in SolidWorks after many years of use

Alex Baptista

First of all, let me say I have used SolidWorks for the past 7 years or so, and my skill level is right up there with the best of them. But I have to say I am very, very disappointed with SolidWorks in recent years, with various bugs and features that make me question my continued use of this CAD system.

Why? Here is just one of many examples. Just earlier today, I was modifying a drawing in SolidWorks 2013, and I had dutifully saved the drawing frequently, every few minutes, just in case something happened. Well, something happened, and SolidWorks crashed me to Windows Desktop. A minor inconvenience, I thought, even though this had been happening very often, about once every hour, for the past year or so. But here is the unbelievable part:

When SolidWorks crashed, it DELETED my drawing from the hard drive !!!

Has anyone else experienced this before in SolidWorks? I find it completely inexcusable that I lost hours of work because somebody else, in this case the SolidWorks development team, did poor quality work. As I write this, it is about 7:30pm in the evening, I am trying to finish my work quickly to send it out to a vendor before going home, and I need to redo the hours of work. The fact that I am bothering to write this, even though it means having to stay late at work that much longer, tells you how irritated I am with SolidWorks right now. I wish more SolidWorks users would openly voice their dissatisfaction with this piece of software, so that the developers won't take our lack of complaints for lack of problems with the software.

• Re: Very disappointed in SolidWorks after many years of use
          John Sutherland

The best way to protest is to stop paying them money.

John Burrill

I've never heard of SolidWorks deleting a file.  I've had cases where it didn't create an Autosave for 5 hours despite my having Autosave set on 20 minute intervals.  I've had cases where it played like it was checking a file into the vault but didn't actually create a new version (2009 SP4 was the culprit)  But I've never seen it just delete a file.

Did you check your trashcan to see if the file was there?  If not, I'd start looking for places where you might have inadvertantly saved it. 

Sean Trainor

I've also never had SolidWorks crash and delete a file on me. Although I have been unable to find a file and believed it was deleted, but it was just a case of it saving to a different folder while I believed it was saving to my usual folder.

Since your a long time user of SolidWorks I'm sure you've got a powerful enough machine to run SolidWorks for your needs. But in my experience I've found a lot of people forget to update their graphics drivers to the latest version. 9 times out of 10, if SolidWorks is crashing it it related to your graphics.

Nathan Rollins

Alex,

Welcome to the Forum.  Use it to rant and to learn... but lean more on the latter.

It seems that your system is at fault - not the software.  If the sw had an inherent issue, there would be many more people complaining of the same thing and the problem would be addressed and fixed.  As much as it hurts immediate productivity, I would spend some time investigating the issue from your end...  First things first, follow Sean's advice and clean your graphics driver.  Get the latest from SolidWorks if available. If not, go to the card mfgr.  Then start looking at your install - do you have multiple versions of SWX installed?  There could be some crossover there?  Service Packs up to date?  Do you have a VAR that you can push some of this off to?  Windows could be the culprit as well.  And surely hardware needs to be considered as well.

Please know that I easily comiserate with you - as do many here.  This is one of those frustrating things that plague all of us at one time or another.  Investigating the issue is neveer fun and usually it seems fruitless at first.  But in the end, you end up with a more stable, faster set-up and you inevitably learn something along the way...

Good luck man.

-Nate

Bjorn Hulman

I've never had SW delete a file. And I've not seen regular crashing since 2005 or so, though it does still crash once or twice a week. As Nathan says, it could likely be your system. When you went to 2013 did you do a nice clean install? How old is your system? It shouldn't be crashing that much. Do you have a reliable network connection? are the servers up to the task? Have you set up a local auto-save directory?

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Markku Lehtola

Options are pretty much:

broken hardware

slow hardware

bad model (loop references etc.)

bad driver etc.

1...2 crash per day is max, if more, then you should check why.

Jani Salo

Me too. I'm very disappointed to SolidWorks. I have used it now half year and every day I find problems I never have had with other cad systems.

Matthew Lorono

Jani,

What do you find disappointing about SolidWorks Drawing functionality?  I am interested in seeing your experience and how you think we can improve SolidWorks Drawings.

Jani Salo

Some problems listed (I'm running 2013 SP3, 64bit):

Slow, instable and erratic (messes more than me). There is much stuff that works usually but every now and then not at all. Needs often new trial, closing file or new startup.

I have huge problems even with small patterns and it doesn't help if I do them in sketch and without merge. It seems just something SW can't handle. And then when you rotate section view screen freezes easily.

I don't like how mates work. For example yesterday I found approximately 100 problems with mates. Yet there was only one problem. I was lucky to find it.

Smart dimension is really annoying in drawings. There is all the time problems to grip to  geometry and then it flips arrows wrong way. Sheet metal dimensioning needs even sketching in some cases (just confirmed from retailer's support). It's just lousy.

I can't fix import files to be error free by any means. Support suggested to make new models but that I can not do. Now all the assemblies flash red because of these import problems.

Drawings need to be rebuild all the time.

Yesterday one drawing hid one feature every now and then. No reason was found.

3D pdf works only for very small models. It's not easy to get people to install e-drawings.

Can't really make 3D surface skeleton based top down design.

Drawings and models loose references very easily.

Associativity has problems. Example: I make sketch with center points. Then I place form features on them. Positions do not update when I change the sketch. I need to go to edit the feature to get it updated.

Odd problems with files. It may happen that suddenly SW can't save one specific model. It may also announce that file is corrupted but works after restart, etc.

As a summary. The huge amount of bugs annoys me too. I really look forward to new service packs.

Doug Kuhn

Alex,

Solidworks would not cause your system to delete a file on a crash. if this was truly an issue with solidworks it would have been fixed long before now in 2013.  if you are using solidworks everyday and you are experiencing crashes often...you are utilizing your computer to its extent.  take a look at getting a VERY high grade graphics card.  i used to have crashes every day...i upgraded my computer (about $3500 per computer)...and i haven't had a crash since.

Jani,

have you posted your problems?  do you have your reseller submit errors also....this is the only way that solidworks knows of your problems.   what are you seeing problems in? is it a problem with the software or is it a problem with it not functioning how another program functioned.  There are problems with every software that is out there, the key is to report it and see if there is a different way to do it.  if you post some of the errors you are seeing on the forums, i'm pretty sure we can help you figure out what is going on with your file.

hope this helps

Alex Baptista

I forgot to mention this in my original post, and since several folks asked about it, my CAD system is a HP Z400 Workstation. The CPU is an Intel Xeon CPU W3550 @ 3.07 GHz, system memory has 12 GB, and the video card is a Nvidia Quadro 4000 with 8 GB of video memory. The OS is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with Service Pack 1 and automatic updates enabled, and I have been running 64-bit SolidWorks. The Nvidia driver is certified by SolidWorks. To put it in a nutshell, this is hardly a cheap little computer too weak to handle SolidWorks.

I've not experienced any more instances of files being deleted when SolidWorks crashes, but SolidWorks continues to crash a few times each day. There was a time in the past when I could wholeheartedly recommend other CAD users to migrate to SolidWorks, but after my recent experiences, that is no longer the case. SolidWorks rose to prominence because other CAD developers rested on their laurels and failed to bring meaningful improvements to their CAD software. I sense the SolidWorks development team is now making the same mistake.

Sean Trainor

What driver version do you have for your graphics?

The latest for your card is 8.17.12.9670

Matthew Lorono

Alex,

From my experience as a user, and someone that has to continue to use the software, I can say that if you are experiencing that many crashes on a 64-bit system, there is something unique to your situation that you may wish to involve your VAR to help determine what's going on and when.  Again, that many crashes is very unusual to my experience on 64 bit systems.

Scott Harvey

I agree with Matthew.

I have a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz
                                      8 GB Ram
                                      64 BIt Operating System/ 64 bit copy of SW

NVIDIA Quadro 1000M: video card

I don't crash and I work with large assemblies, large surface models,  you name it.  I have to admit I was borderline the other month because a client had to have all of his mates in the top assembly because they didn't know how to successfully use Sub Assemblies in there data management system that blows. 1500+ mates and she still cranked out and moved without hiccups but there were some cranking moments where windows would pop up and say waiting for program to respond.  So I waitied and SW would come back to me and complete its task.

So I imagine you have cooled down now.  Upload a model that is consistently crashing your system for starters to this blog.  I understand you were pissed off and probably tired when you wrote this blog but if you don't give the community files or intelligence to work with your not going to get anythign in return.  Don't give me that proprietary slogan either.  If the file is proprietary then make  somethign simliair.  If you don't want to do that then keep suffering with a problem that either I or the 1000's of other people looking at these forumns could answer for you.

SW does have some hiccups like any other software, but what you are experiencing is not universal.  You have somethign wrong on your end, not SW.

Bob Herfindahl

Alex says "SolidWorks continues to crash a few times each day." Wow. I would guess that my solidworks crashes about once a month. Maybe. Gotta be something wrong with your computer.

Kieran Choy

I'm surprised to see that no one has asked if you set your backup options

Tools >> Options >> System Preferences tab >> Backup/Recover 

Under Backup:

This feature saves a copy of your files to the specified location every time you save your files (File >> Save or CTRL+S).

Each save will create a new version of the file, up to the number specified – e.g. if number of copies is 5, after saving a file 5 times, the first backup is overwritten. This provides a series of rolling revisions, and means that if you accidentally save a file but then wish to undo some changes, you can recover the previous version (you may need to sort out some file reference issues in doing so).

Change your backup directory to something you can remember and access easily (i.e. not the default directory). If your normal SolidWorks data is saved locally, consider setting the backup directory on a network file server, or vice versa. If you don’t have this option, set the backup directory to save to a different HDD to your normal data drive, in case one drive fails.

I would recommend setting the number of backups to between 3 and 5. You can also clear out files older than a certain time period - I’d suggest between 7 and 30 days. In both cases, the values you choose will be a trade off between the ability to revert back to older files, and HDD space limitations.

Scott Harvey

Alex,

I'm glad your fired up about SW.  Share your work and lets see what the community can do for you. 

I work with people like you on a weekly basis.  Good people that are just trying to get work done but are frustrated on what they know isn't working well.  They have been using SW for years like you but aren't going to spend every waking moment trying to be the SW Power User.  Well, you have many power users looking at your blog that know the answers.  The answers might not be 100% good but from my experience over 80% of gripes can be solved from SW problems.  Hince the reason why this site was made.  Not to gripe but to get answers! 

If it is proprietary then make something similiar.  There are over 1000 ways to create the same part in SW.  36% might be good,  24% might be excellent and 50% might be terrible.  At then end though we all have the same shape, mass, and cog.  Not all are right.

Give it a shot.  Ask some questions and GET! the answers you deserve.

Rick McWilliams

I am disappointed that SolidWorks bugs last for many years.  I can make solidworks crash at any time using any type of feature. I have learned how to dance through the minefield of solidworks.  I have never seen solidworks delete a file. It is very clever at hiding files in strange places.