AnsweredAssumed Answered

Very disappointed in SolidWorks after many years of use

Question asked by Alex Baptista on May 20, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 25, 2013 by Scott Harvey

First of all, let me say I have used SolidWorks for the past 7 years or so, and my skill level is right up there with the best of them. But I have to say I am very, very disappointed with SolidWorks in recent years, with various bugs and features that make me question my continued use of this CAD system.

Why? Here is just one of many examples. Just earlier today, I was modifying a drawing in SolidWorks 2013, and I had dutifully saved the drawing frequently, every few minutes, just in case something happened. Well, something happened, and SolidWorks crashed me to Windows Desktop. A minor inconvenience, I thought, even though this had been happening very often, about once every hour, for the past year or so. But here is the unbelievable part:

When SolidWorks crashed, it DELETED my drawing from the hard drive !!!

Has anyone else experienced this before in SolidWorks? I find it completely inexcusable that I lost hours of work because somebody else, in this case the SolidWorks development team, did poor quality work. As I write this, it is about 7:30pm in the evening, I am trying to finish my work quickly to send it out to a vendor before going home, and I need to redo the hours of work. The fact that I am bothering to write this, even though it means having to stay late at work that much longer, tells you how irritated I am with SolidWorks right now. I wish more SolidWorks users would openly voice their dissatisfaction with this piece of software, so that the developers won't take our lack of complaints for lack of problems with the software.

Outcomes