3 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2013 7:19 PM by John Burrill

How can I rotate about an axis using reference points for the angle?

Mike Mason

I'm learing SW from the tutorials and I hope to transition to SW from another cad program.  In my other cad program I could rotate entities using reference points and other entities to calculate the angle of rotation for me.  I've attached a picture showing/explaing the method.  Does SW have the ability to do this?  Thanks so much in advance for help.

Mike

• Re: How can I rotate about an axis using reference points for the angle?
          Deepak Gupta

If you're looking to rotate a sketch, then edit the sketch and then select the entities you want to rotate, then right click on the screen and select the option rotate. Now follow the options as stated.

I've attached a video showing various options to get the rotate command.

• Re: How can I rotate about an axis using reference points for the angle?
            John Burrill

Hi Mike.  It looks like you were using Microstation based on the icon ad preview geometry.

OK, so there are two methods to approaching the problem you've described and which one you choose depends on why you're trying to rotate the geometry.

If you're trying to constrain the geometry as part of your design intent so that dragging it or adding dimensions drives the angle of the geometry about a center, then you're going to define your geometry set with parallel and perpendicular relations instead of horizontal and vertical and either fix or ottherwise full the define the location about which you want to drive the sketch and the alignment point and then add a coincident relation between one of the segments in your rotating set and the reference point.

If instead you want to reposition some sketch elements to other geometry in the sketch, then you might make a block (likea  shared cell) out of those elements and use sketch relations to anchor and align that block to your center and reference point.  At that point, you can explode the block (drop the cell) and add the remaining relations needed to fully define your sketch.