4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2013 9:29 AM by Nick Hall

Problems thickening knitted surfaces.

Nick Hall

Hi Guys,

What a great resource, 1st time poster but i feel like im on here EVERY day trying to resolve seomething

Attached is a handheld vacuum cleaner that is driving me nuts.

It can knit into 1 surface, Depending on how the sphere is used in the middle as a trim tool and the what is trimmed and what isnt. The sphere is the juncture where all the surfaces meet. The apex of he rear handle is really messy...it got edited roughly and to increase the radius because i though that was obstructing the thickening. But its not.

each part thickens indvividually, but four hours later im no closer to resolving thicking the thing as a whole.

Even to make it solid and shelling it would be beautiful.

I understand thickening is finicky, but do you guys have any advice or input on how to aproach this... Hopefully without ripping the whole thing apart. The assignment is due shortly and its eating every second of my time.

Il do whatever it takes however.

Thanks in advance,

Nicko

• Re: Problems thickening knitted surfaces.
          Lars Christensen

Hi Nick,

I hope you are doing well.

Sorry I do not have much time to digg into your model. Pretty cool model :-).

Tools->Check shows some open surfaces. I would recommend use Boundary surface instead of lofted surfaces, as my suspicion is that your lofts probably are stretching a little out of shape.

Hope you find this helpful.

Have a great day!

Best,

Lars

Matt Lombard

This is a better model than is usually presented by people asking this sort of question.

I personally think that you shouldn't use "thicken". I think the shell approach is better. The reason is all of the junk you see at the suck end of the device. See how those faces are all broken up? A proper shell will be much better. Unfortunately, the proper shell will be more difficult. I'd start by deleting the Thicken 2 and 3 features.

The first thing you have to do is to fully enclose the surface, so use a planar surface to cap off the suck end.

Then it gets tricky. Surface models need to be without gaps or overlaps. To make a surface a solid, you have to have a body just including the outside faces, all knit together. So you have to trim Surface-Loft18 and Surface-Revolve1 with Surface-Loft17. Use a Mutual Trim, select all 3 surfaces, set bodies to keep.

But first, I notice that you've got a problem you can't recover from. There is a gap between SurfaceLoft28 and SurfaceLoft13. Gap in this case means a distance between edges. It looks like 3DSketch93 is close to 3DSketch37. You shouldn't use two separate sketches that do the same thing. And using 3D sketches where all you need is 2D can also cause problems.

I personally would redo loft28 to use edges rather than the 3Dsketch93. You're going to need the SelectionManager to select multiple edges as a single profile.

That will help you most of the way.

Best of luck.

Nick Hall

Matt,

Your a machine. A massive thanks for taking the time out. Thickening was a problematic but turning  it into a solid was relativley easy and it ended up with a 2mm shell. With your advice you actually put me ahead of thh teacher trying to suit the same model build. Ill tone down on the 3d sketches too.

Cheers again.

Nick.