7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2013 3:57 PM by Glenn Schroeder

Server filing

Demitri Duwadi

I was wondering if someone can give me a run down on the best way to create a centerlized type place to store standard parts and drawings in a way that people can modify them for their own personal drawings but it won't affect the base drawing on the main server everyone pulls the parts from.

For example I wanted to create a folder for I-beams and making all the standard sizes. Is it possible to put that in one location on a server and allow people to pull them off and use them in their own drawings with different lengths without it changing the length of everyone else using that same part? I mean alternatively I thought you could add a configuration to the part and just change the exruded length for each length you needed, but It's not possible to have configurations of different lengths of the same extrusion, is it? To do so would you have to add extruded cuts and lop of how much you needed for each length in each configuration?

If anyone has a guide or tips / help on how these types of things are accomplished, I'd really appreciate it to get a better understanding of it.

• Re: Server filing
          Demitri Duwadi

Or is the only way possible by having people pull the drawings and saving their own copies of the parts? If so, how do you "cut" the connection from the part that's on the server so that It's its own seperate part? I've had problems in the past where I've made a new file of the same part, but it would edit both files as if it were the same part.

John Suchan

In regards to your question about saving copies of a part off the server and "cutting" the connection. You should use "Pack-N-Go" and not Save-as. This will make a totally separate copy that will not link back to the original. It is helpful to add a suffix or prefix to the new part, so that it can be distinguished from the original part. Our motto is "Never ever use Save-As unless you REALLY, REALLY know what you are doing".

Glenn Schroeder

For your specific example, look into using the Structural Shape function on the Weldments toolbar in parts.  That takes a profile sketch (.sldlfp file) that's stored in a seperate location (such as on a server), brings it into the part, and extrudes it along a sketched line.  This .sldlfp file is only the profile, the length is controlled by the path sketch in the part.  After the Structural Shape function is used, you expand it in the tree and edit the sketch without affecting the .sldlfp file that it was copied from.  I use this function on almost every project and it works very well.

About the configurations, you can have different lengths in the part file by configuring the length of the path sketch.

If this doesn't answer your questions please ask again.

Demitri Duwadi

This sounds like it could be what I'm after. Forgive my lack of knowledge on this, but to do this I start by opening the part on the server and using the structural member function? Or am I starting a completely new sketch and referencing the file to pull....the sketch profile from? (Also, I'm unsure what a .sldlfp file is. All my files are .SLDASM and .SLDPRT) Also I'm lost at where It's extruding along a sketched line, you're not editing an extruded boss/base?

For the configurations by configuring the length of the path sketch do you mean the length of the extrusion? Because I tried making two different configurations, one that was say 8ft and one that was 3ft but I couldn't get a seperate extruded length for either of them, when I changed the extrude, it would affect both configurations.

I'm just trying to figure out what's the neatest cleanest way to go about this. My initial thought was that I'd have one part and name it like "Wide flange I beams" and then if somone can open that part and under configurations list all the different sizes of wide flange I beams. Is this how most people do it? In my mind it seems like it would keep file locations very clutter free, but perhaps there's a better way to do this?

Edit: While messing around I figured out how to use the structural steel function to create the exact sketch of any I beam. Would it be better to just let people use that and make their own? If they did that, wouldn't that fill their file library for a project full of files with just each I beam?