24 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2013 2:34 PM by Craig Schultz

EPDM 2012 upgrade to 2013

David Heverin

I am ready to upgrade from EPDM 2012 SP2 to EPDM 2013 SP3.  This will be the first time I performing the upgrade on my own.  In the past I have been a "helper" or observer in the upgrade and things always look different between when you are the passenger and the driver.  Well, now I am the driver and realize I didn't notice some key elements of the upgrade.

I have remote desktop log-in to the server where the archives and SQL manager are loaded.  Is this server also the one that I should be performing the upgrade on?

Thanks

• Re: EPDM 2012 upgrade to 2013
          Jeff Sweeney

You mean the database upgrade? It is most efficient to run that upgrade on the machine that has SQL server.

Jim Sculley

Chapter 8 of the Installation Guide PDF walks you through the entire process step by step.  You can find the guide on the DVD (or in your downloaded media).  Look in the Support/Guides/GB folder.

Jim S.

David Heverin

Thanks.  There is no DVD.

I know it might seem like a silly detail, but the installation guide does not state what files to use when upgrading from a download.

Jeff Sweeney

The download is the same as the DVD.

Run the "Setup" rouine on the root of the installation package.

Jim Sculley

The same installer is used to update all the various components (database server, archive server, web server and clients).  The downloaded file is simply a zipped up version of a CD/DVD.  If you had the actual DVD, when you put it in the drive, it would start automatically.  You can do the same by unzipping the download to a folder accessible from your servers and clients.

Per the installation guide:

1.  Back up everything.

2. On the archive server, double click the AutoRun.exe and then click Upgrade.

3.  On the database server, double click the AutoRun.exe and then click Upgrade.  If the database and archive server are on the same machine, you can skip this step.  They were both be upgraded in step 2.

4.  Upgrade a single EPDM client by double clicking the AutoRun.exe file and selecting Upgrade.

5.  Upgrade the file vault database.  Double click the AutoRun.exe file again and click on How to upgrade from a previous SolidWorks Enterprise PDM version.  You've already performed steps 1 through 3, so click on the Upgrade Database button to proceed.

6.  On your updated client machine, open the Admin Tool and look for any vaults with a red plus sign.  Right click on them and select Upgrade.  Going form 2012 to 2013, I didn't have any that needed this.

7.  Update your license.

8.  Upgrade the remaining clients.  I use an admin image for this step.  See 'Creating an Enterprise PDM Client Administrative Image' in the Installation guide.

9.   Set aside a weekend or several evenings to upgrade the file archives.  I had 9 machines at my disposal and I split the work up into 18 batches, which each had about 8000 files to process.  It took the entire weekend, but I was able to manage things form home by remoting in to each machine to check on progress and start the second batch when the first one completed.  My options were set  as follows:

[5/4/2013 3:36:53 PM] File Vault Upgrade Tool Settings:

[5/4/2013 3:36:53 PM] Files of type: <All SW file types>

[5/4/2013 3:36:53 PM] Include SubFolders: 1

[5/4/2013 3:36:53 PM] Create new version of files and move revision

[5/4/2013 3:36:53 PM] Save pre-2003 drawings with "Automatic update of BOM": 1

[5/4/2013 3:36:53 PM] Ignore files containing missing references: 0

[5/4/2013 3:36:53 PM] Do complete rebuild (Ctrl+Q) on files: 1

[5/4/2013 3:36:53 PM] Process files already in target format: 0

[5/4/2013 3:36:53 PM] Activate all configurations before saving: 0

What options you choose can greatly affect how long this process will take.  Make sure you understand what the options mean before you perform this step.

And again, read and follow Chapter 8 step by step.  The above is just some general guidelines.

Jim S.

David Heverin

Jim,

I have the installation guide and have read through it several times.  Even so, the first time one does something, it always is a nervous time.

Regarding the file archive update, I have not done that in the past.  We have allowed EPDM do update to the current version as needed in the course of users opening and checking out files needed for work.  This has seemed to work fine so far.  Is there any advantage to performing a file archive upgrade instead of the method we are using?

Jim Sculley

The only advantages are that the warning icon won't show up on every file you open and there is a little bit of time saved per file.  Converting to the new format may cost a few seconds the first time each file is saved.  A little added security as well.  If you have some really old files, there is the possibility that a future version will have trouble opening them.  Not likely, but not impossible either.

Jim S.

Bill Stadler

Hi Jim,

We have 191,756 SolidWorks files in out vault.   We do not currently do drawings because they need to be checked-out and saved to modify them.

I had 15 machines running conversions with the same settings that you are using.  I do parts first then assemblies.  Parts typically go fine but the assemblies tend to be problematic for us.  I will have machines fail during the conversion and leave thousands of files checked out.  Failures may be due to missing references, files references outside the vault or who knows what.  I also noticed that the EPDM conversion tool checks out files that have already been converted and then it must do a undo check out which is a huge waist of time especially when that machine fails and I have to do a manual undo check-out.

I sat back and said to myself I have to be doing something wrong but I have no idea what.  This is one of the biggest headaches the I fret in the upgrade process.

Joy Garon

Hi Folks -

I will be doing the same thing in the July timeframe. For those of you who have 25+ users, do you update just EPDM then update SolidWorks at a later date or do you upgrade them both at the same time? How do you handling 'travelling' engineers? It is not uncommon for us to have engineers out at a customer site for a month with sketchy VPN access.

Joy

David Heverin

Joy,

EPDM always gets upgraded first, then SolidWorks.  When we have upgraded EPDM in the past we got the EPDM upgrade done on the server, then the client computers.  For us, this is quite a challenge since our IT department seems to be working against us in many cases.  Getting the required admin access on client computers is close to impossible for us due to IT security issues.  But, that is just here, you may have a much easier situation to work within.

Upgrading SolidWorks is somewhat painful when computers are onsite because of the time involved.  It seems like it COULD be done via VPN but would probably be a more lengthy process.

Amos Avery

We are knee deep in this now.  I upgraded EPDM last week and made sure everyone (20 users) was getting in and able to do their job.  This week we are upgrading SolidWorks (8 users).  I've had a few hiccups but most of us are working again.  The biggest issue that I'm working through is our PDF converting machine has stopped converting due to a SolidWorks Macro issue. 

The travelling engineers issue is not too bad for EPDM as it is a smaller (we had one guy download the files from our server after connecting via VPN) and there are few options during install.  If the user can download the install from the SolidWorks Customer Portal, they only need a VPN connection to find the license server.  For the SW upgrade, you are better off making an image for the user and burning it onto a few DVDs.  Mail them the DVDs and have them copy the entire image to their HD before running the install.  That way they get all of the necessary options set correctly.

Bill Stadler

Hi Joy,

We will be going from 2012 to 2014.  We are not going to SW2013 because IT is still working on replacing the remainder of the XP machines.

We have 60 plus SW users and a 100 plus EDPM users (40+ not on SW). We upgrade both PDM and SW on the same weekend.  I have thought about doing them separate but Skipping a release worries me.