8 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2013 2:06 PM by Justin Hoidahl

SW 2013 SP 3 Crashing

Joseph Weaver

Title says it all. I hold off until SP 2 or 3 to alleviate problems but this release is a candident for the worst i've encountered... and it is not just me. I upgraded 3 workstations and everyone is experiencing more crashes than 2012. I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem with this SP 3? I'm thinking about going back to another SP 2? so I'm looking for feedback on that release or earlier too. Thanks in advance.

• Re: SW 2013 SP 3 Crashing
          Paul Marsman

Joseph,

What are your complete system specs, including video card and driver.  What are you doing when it crashes, what have you tried so far, etc.  We just need more info than "it crashes all the time" to be of any real help.

Paul

edit: no, I do not have any major issues with SW2013 crashing.

Joseph Weaver

Thanks for the reply. My system has 8 Gb memory, nvidea quadro fx 5500, one SS drive which is used for my os which is win 7 64 and Solidworks is only other program on that drive, 500 Gb western digital drive. I'm not sure where or who you are quoting from in your reply,"it crashes all the time", but to clarify I'm crashing at least daily since upgrading. I will check my video drivers.

Thanks,

Joe

Kelvin Lamport

Did you perform a clean install of SW13?   https://forum.solidworks.com/docs/DOC-1014

Did you upgrade all computers from the same disc or download?

Standalone or network licences?

Individual installs or admin image?

No problem here with any SP of SW13.

A quote from https://forum.solidworks.com/message/175797#175797 ;

No matter which SW version and SP, no matter whether x32 or x64, no matter which CPU or VC or how much RAM, there will always be users claiming, "This is the most unstable version ever" ... and other users with the exact same system specs claiming the exact opposite.

Gordon Stewart

I am assuming that you are a subscription customer, if so please contact your reseller.  They can get Rx crash reports from your systems and dig into what is going on.

In addition you should also ensure that your machines are opting in for the SolidWorks Customer Experience Improvement Program as this will send packets of data every time you get a crash and SolidWorks can analyse those packets to get even more information as to what is going on. It is on the General page of system options down at the bottom.

As Paul said, SolidWorks needs more information from your systems to resolve this issue.  Your first response should be your VAR. Let them get the data from your machines and forward it to the SolidWorks engineers.

We have not been hearing anything like this from our customer base.  It could be a minor thing that is easily fixed. Your VAR in conjunction with SolidWorks will be able to give you support you so urgently require.

Cheers

Gordon

Joseph Weaver

Gordon,

I am on the customer experience thing and I have been adding comments as to what I was doing at the time of the last 2 crashes i had,

My initial post I must admit was done out of frustation, but it was mainly to get feedback from others, like yourself, if anyone else was experiencing similar dificulties... which apparently they are not. I didn't want to go to my VAR until I got more information from other professionals.

Thanks,

Joe

Justin Hoidahl

We have been on 2013 sp3 for a couple weeks now and are not seeing an increase in crashes.