5 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2013 11:57 AM by Jared Conway

Parallel calculation in Flow Simulation - almost there

Alessandro Tornincasa

Hello all,

remember my post on combustion ? It's there, Menthor Graphics has put it in its software modules.

Well, there's good news also for parallel calculation:

http://www.mentor.com/company/news/mentor-floefd-solution-parametric-analysis

This part of the press release sounds like an implementation of parallel calculation:

"Supports Linux x64 to leverage multicore PCs (such as a Linux cluster) for effective parametric study with multiple variants calculated at each node concurrently"

There are many SPR's on the matter:

555255 - Full use of parallel computing architecture for increasing computing performance on solving analisys (Simulation & Flow).

680070 - SPR 680070 Introduce simultaneous solving of a single Flow Simulation project on several machines.

329447 -  Ability for the CFW solver to make use of multiple processors, dual core processors, and network processing ( cluster computing HPC )

So let's vote, the more we vote for it, the more likely a fast implementation.

Here's the procedure to vote for an enhancement request:

http://youtu.be/__LOjTQMNxY

Cheers,

Alex

my italian-english bi-lingual solidworks blog

www.solidworkseducation.blogspot.com

• Re: Parallel calculation in Flow Simulation - almost there
          Jared Conway

I don't see the combustion feature in that article. Are you just saying it is available? I do think there is an er for it.

Regarding the rest of the features, we have had most since the 2013 release. The cluster computing I'd have to check on but I think it is just a remote solver client for Linux rather than a significant change in the computing process. On that note, both in our consulting business and dealings with customers, we have done some pretty complex stuff in a reasonable time with the hardware normally available to people. A lot of it comes from meshing improvements and solving improvements over the last few versions. Would it be nice to have it even faster? Sure! But I think flow still does pretty good as is.

Alessandro Tornincasa

Jared,

Combustion is here:

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/325647#325647

There is pdf documentation about it.

Alex

Alessandro Tornincasa

I've donne a lot of consulting as well and I agree with you. If you take care in the setup and find ways to have good simplifications in the model you can get excellent results with minimal computational effort. This requires an engineer or a very skilled person in CFD. The aim of solidworks flow simulation is bringing CFD to people who are non computational fluid dynamics experts, in order to allow even people like them to solve complex problems. Simplifications yield excellent results, but you should be offered possibility of running the model as it is without simplifications and use as much horsepower as it's available to get results. This would compensate the lack of skill of the user.

I've found many situations in which the person would tell me "I don't care to how much money will I have to spend on the hardware if this would allow me to solve a 3-4 million cells problem in a shorter time".

Jared Conway

Alex, I agree but not fully. Most models include many features that aren't necessary for analysis. With a bit of training, any user can find these and eliminate them pretty quickly, especially if they are well tuned into the model. (Disadvantage of a consultant that is seeing it for the first time) So I don't think it requires a CFD expert for those part and hence, I don't think we need a faster solver to make up for this part.

That being said, for problems where you do need the ability to solver bigger or more complex problems, no doubt, it would be great to have a faster solver that can use those additional features. The question is, are we ready to pay for it? What we get right now is pretty cost effective. I find it a really high value. For many other tools that let you do cluster computing..etc, you pay by the core or number of simultaneous processes and usually by year.

Jared Conway

Hi Alex, I checked with the developers, the addition to FloEFD does not solve individual problems any faster as you've requested in your enhancements. The addition is basically a linux remote solver that allows the user to run more than 1 simulation at a time. To do this, the customer must buy additional solver licenses.

So in SolidWorks Flow Simulation, the limitations are not being able to use linux and not being able to solve multiple on a remote solver at one time. However, from my experience, just moving the files to a powerful computer and using the solve X number of problems simulataneously works pretty good which gets us half-way there. I haven't gotten a lot of requests for a linux remote solver so that should be plenty for the majority of the Flow community.