9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2013 7:46 PM by Angie Krahner

Update Named BOM to Latest

Angie Krahner

I am new to EPDM and this is my first posting. Hopefully my question isn't too obvious. I have searched the Knowledge Base to no avail... How do I update a Named BOM to the 'Latest' version of an assembly? I can update it if the assembly is rebuilt but as our assembly is quite large I would like to update the Named BOM without rebuilding the assembly. I look forward to your insight.

• Re: Update Named BOM to Latest
          Raghavendra Bhagwan

Hello Angie,

When you mean update to latest version, Is it the change in the quantity, addition or deletion of the components in the assembly right ?

Is your assembly managed in EPDM Vault ?

If yes, One has to check out to perform above said changes, On such change on an assembly file, Should the user check in to vault, EPDM Creates a version, and one can select the appropriate version on the BOM tab in the explorer view to see the BOM (with the changes done)

Hope this helps !

Raghav.

Angie Krahner

Thank you for the feedback Raghav. Yes, our assembly is managed in EPDM. I have added the variable 'Purchasing Status' to our data card. If the Purchasing Status is updated on a part in a sub-assembly we can see it in the BOM tab for the top level assembly without rebuilding the assembly if we select 'Latest' as the reference version. But it is not updated in the Named BOM and there is no new version to update. I have saved and checked-in the part with the updated variable. Perhaps this is a limitation of EPDM?

Raghavendra Bhagwan

Angie,

A named BOM is a snapshot of the Computed BOM (which is derieved from SolidWorks), And it not associative for update any changes.

In simple words, If the Computed BOM is updated, You will have to save the new version of the Named BOM, Then it will take a new snapshot, which has the updated changes.

You can manage these Named BOM's in EPDM Workflow, and osbolete / retire the old versions.

Hope this helps !

Regards,
                  Raghav.

Jeff Sweeney

If you've changed the calculated BOM, you can update the named BOM with the refresh button.

refresh.JPG

Raghavendra Bhagwan

Oh wow ! Jeff is this available on which version of EPDM ?? 2013 by anychance ??

This has been an issue in older versions ! how ever i would still prefer the manage the various versions of the Named BOM to keep track of the changes.

Regards,

Raghav.

PS: Based on the image you have posted, I am sure that this is in 2013 version. But unfortunately doesn't work in 2012 version

Angie Krahner

I have used the Refresh successfully when the assembly has been rebuilt. As it would take coordination effort to get everyone to check-in their files at the same time to rebuild the top level I was hoping we could update the Named BOM without doing this. Below is an example of a part for which I changed the P/N from 'ILL-SIF-C1185' to 'ILL-SIF-C1185 TEST'. The part was saved and checked in. The change can be viewed in the assembly file card BOM but not the Named BOM and I do not have an option to Refresh.

Angie Krahner

We were a bit more methodically, and have resolved the issue. It was a check-in/out issue on our part. When a component or sub-assembly of an assembly is modified, although the change can be “seen” in the BOM tab of the assembly, the assembly must be checked in for the new version to take effect. Then the Named BOM must be checked out to update the Named BOM version. NOTE: If the assembly was not checked out when the change to one of its components or sub-assemblies was made, the assembly must be checked out and then checked backed in.Hope this is helpful to anyone else encountering update issues.