3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2014 4:50 PM by Brian McEwen

Unable to delete a file

Stephen Lapic

Somebody had created a pdf file that they wanted to delete but were unable to do so.  I was asked to delete it for them and recieved the error message saying that I lacked permission.  So I logged in as admin and got the same error message.  I even logged on as admin on the computer that created it and it still wouldn't let me.  I did verify that I had permission in the workflow and the folder to do this.  It is not checked out by anyone.  It does allow me to change the state and rename it.

Any ideas?

• Re: Unable to delete a file
          Davif Dsdas

Are they using window 7 and  try to delete it in windows explorer?or you can close to show the "previews pane" and try to delete and see.

Tim Webb

Hi Stephen.

I think you have two options:

1. Grant delete permissions in every state the file has been in.
            2. Create a state called "Deleted" or "Trash" (or something), grant delete permissions, AND check the box "Ignore permissions in previsious states"

Knowing this, a best practice is not doing the delete if the file has EVER been in through a released state to avoid deleting formerly released versions and/or losing history. Come to your own conclusions on what your options are based on your regulatory requirements and company policy.

However I do recommend to approach this one with caution.

Hope this helps!

Tim CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com

Brian McEwen

How about a Trash folder?  Does anyone use that to allow users to mark stuff for deletion?  Seems similar to the Deleted State idea but avoids creating another state.

It seems users can move files (in certain editable states) to folders even when they can't delete (because the file was previously in a protected state).  Then an Admin can empty the trash folder periodically.