1 Reply Latest reply on May 10, 2013 3:56 PM by Jared Conway

Using Springs and constraints of other solids.

Jeremy Sullivan

Hi everyone,

Not completely new at SW but pretty new at making videos/motion studies of complete assemblies of all of our parts together.

In the attached files you will see a casing, a segment and a shaft.

I want to do a motion study/ video on the shaft pushing against segment and segment moves outward towards casing and have 2 springs behind the segment in the holes of segment between the casing and segment to push segment back to center after shaft returns to center. At this point the casing around the segment limits the segment traveling back to a concentric to the casing.

I have all the mates needed for the design. (Any more mates become over defining and won’t allow pieces to move the way the design is meant to work.)

It doesn’t matter to me on adding more components or doing a motion study to accomplish this, just would like to learn how to make it work.

• Re: Using Springs and constraints of other solids.
          Jared Conway

do you need animation, motion or deformable bodies (Fea)?

in animation you won't get engineering results, but will make nice videos

in motion the bodies will all be stiff but you'll get engineering results (velocities..etc)

in fea, you'll get deformable bodies but you'll ahve less control over the animation and "motion" part

if your part moves and drags the way that you want it to move, based on your description you should go with animation and that should solve some if not all of the problems. when you move to motion, if you don't have your mates setup appropriately, you may run into issues.