6 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2013 8:48 AM by Bjorn Hulman

Is it possible to publish to edawings 2013 from SW 2011?

Shahid Shaik

Hi,

i'm curious to know if it is possible to directly publish higher version of edrawings files from lower version of SW..

• Re: Is it possible to publish to edawings 2013 from SW 2011?
          Bjorn Hulman

Shahid, a later version of eDrawings should be able to open a file created for an earlier version.

Shahid Shaik

Thanks Bjorn...... but, i want to publish a earlier version edrawings file directly from SW later version window. for example i am using SW 2011 and want to publish edrawings 2013 from SW window (File > Publish to edrawings)... is this possible?

Timothy Taby

I wouldn't think it is possible without first installing edrawings 2013.  There latest version of the software you are running is the latest version of the file you can create, it does not give you an option to save as any other version, it just makes a .edrw file.  Just like Solidworks files, the .edrw files are forward compatible but not backward compatible.  So you can open an file created in an older version of edrawings, but it will error if you try opening an .edrw file that was created with a newer version of edraings.  Furthermore, your edrawings version will match your Solidworks version as they install together (Assuming you have Solidworks Pro or Premium) so you would not have a newer version of edrawings installed to create a newer version of the file.

So if you have edrawings 2011 installed then that is the version of the file you will create, anyone with edrawings 2011, 2012, or 2013 can open it.  But if you create the .edrw file in edrawings 2013 someone will need to have 2013 to view it.  It's not a huge issue since the latest viewer is available for free from the solidworks web site.

Bjorn Hulman

There seems to be some confusion here. If as you say, you are using SW2011, you will save a eDrawings for 2011, which would then be fine in eDrawings 2013. There is no problem. If however you created a edrawing 2013 file and only have edrawings 2011, the viewer is free as Timothy says.