8 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2013 9:45 AM by Chin-loo Lama

Which Wacom tablet for SolidWorks 2013?

hajime hajime

Hello, I am looking for a Wacom tablet for designing 3D model in SolidWorks and possibly in 3DMax and Inventor Professhional. Any recommendation? They seem to have two lines of tablets: Intuos and Bamboo.

• Re: Which Wacom tablet for SolidWorks 2013?
          Anna Wood

Check out the More Like This side bar on the right.  Do a search on Wacom here on the forums.  They are mentioned in a bunch of posts on the forum.

Cheers,

Anna

Ian Worrall

Orange County Choppers ("American Chopper" TV show) seem to use Wacom's Cintiq quite successfully.

(Cintiq is a touchscreen monitor of great price)

Chin-loo Lama

Hello Hajime,

Have you used any of these tablets before? It really depends on your preference. I have used an intuos a while back and have graduated to the Cintiq in the past 4 years. As Ian mentioned, I, too use the Cintiq as my main monitor with the bonus of the stylus/tablet interaction. I've used the Cintiq and the Intuos with SolidWorks. Granted I don't do machine design while in SolidWorks, I do, however, work with the SolidWorks UI as I help design the software.

When I started using the Cintiq, it was hard for me to go back to the intuos or the Bamboo. It is extremely intuitive to draw and interact directly on the UI on the screen. I felt that it slowed me down quite a bit to have to transpose the screen size onto the Intuos tablet mentally so that I could jump from one point on the screen to another while lifting the stylus up from the tablet (beyond its sensitivity).

As for SolidWorks with a Wacom tablet, I think you will find that it works with SolidWorks as well as any other desktop application. Though it does not take advantage of the pressure settings of the stylus (like in Photoshop and Illustrator), SolidWorks has UI improvements that caters to stylus/tablet interactions. The RMB Gesture Ring and the new View Selection cube, and all the contextual menus and heads-up-display really help bring all the controls right by the stylus tip so that you don’t have to travel far on the screen to get to the tools you need. I highly recommend assigning hot keys that you use often in SolidWorks right onto the hotkeys of the tablet. Then you can access things like the S-key menu, view selector, rebuild, etc. at a touch of a button.

As you see in other threads, there are some issues we are addressing, like the RMB long press issue. We hope to have that fix go in to SW2014 and SW2013. 

I think that any of the Wacom tablets would work well with SolidWorks. It all depends on your comfort level of using the type of tablet itself.

hajime hajime

Thanks Chin-loo, I have not used any of those tablets. However, I have used Watcom tablets over 15 years ago.  I am using a MacBook Pro Retina Display (2880x1800) and a 24" HP LCD monitor. It seems that the Bamboo is the lower end version of the Cintiq and Intuos. Which size of the Intuos5 and Cintiq do you recommend?

Chin-loo Lama

I use a Cintiq 22 right now (a couple of generations old). If you were to go with the Cintiq, it will likely replace your 24" as the 2nd monitor. I'm not sure that this is the best solution for you. It doesn't sound like you are looking to use a stylus and display combo. Also, I'm not sure how the display is for the latest generation of Cintiq, but for the one I have the color saturation is not the best. In fact, next to your Retina display, it will look awful.

What will you be using the tablet for primarily? If it is CAD software and general interaction of the OS, then I think a Bamboo at a middle to large size would be a better idea. You will not need the high level of pressure sensitivity offered in the Intuos and so you can put that money into getting a larger size. However, if you are planning on using the tablet with applications that take advantage of the pressure sensitivity of the stylus, then you may want to invest in the Intuos line. I've used the small size one before, they are sufficient, however, if you have the table space for it, I'd suggest the larger sizes since it really allows you to map to the screen much better especially with the high resolution of a retina display.

Anyhow, I'm afraid recommendations on this type of devices are always difficult since different people have different tastes. It is not like recommending hardware with specs that you can compare. These devices depend on your use case and personal preferences. So I'd suggest googling for other opinions online. I've found this post to be useful though it is 2 years old. Good luck with the decision.