6 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2013 10:58 AM by Bill McEachern

Training for Simulation

Charles Culp

Does anyone have good suggestions for training a new user on SolidWorks Simulation? We have a single user who needs some training. Has anyone gone through the reseller training, and was that of value? Are there any other good options? Thanks for the insight.

• Re: Training for Simulation
          Patrick O'Hern

I took the reseller training and found it to be very helpful.  I also bought a book which has been a good reference (Engineering Analysis with SolidWorks Simulation 2011)

Chris Michalski

The SW training was good as an introduction, but as with any short duration class it presents a little bit of information on a wide array of topics.  There are likely to be parts of the software covered that your user may never need, as well as parts they will use everyday that are not even mentioned.

As an experienced Flow user but relatively new to Simulation: While not ideal because it consumes twice the manpower, it could be advantageous to have a followup to the training with an experienced user.  Have them mentor the new user and go through the setup and post-processing of several previously solved simulations with typical models in your industry/application.  Even allocating an hour a week for Q&A and tips & tricks initially would be helpful.

From what I hear there are also training outfits who will work with your models to tailor the training to your specific day to day needs (if IP rules allow disclosing models).

Jared Conway

Hi Chris, your description of the ideal process is exactly what prompted us to develop our mentoring service here at Hawk Ridge Systems. It starts with a discovery call to talk about the analysis and the analysis process and then we develop a training plan around the analysis inserting tips and tricks and answering questions along the way and then we run a follow-up session at the end for anything that came up when the user put the rubber to the road. We've done this both online and on-site with great success. I think the thing that I've seen as the best component of success is having an example of what needs to be done when you come out of training. Like you said, the training teaches you were all the options are..etc, but when you have to apply it, you get stuck.

Charles, feel free to drop me a line at jared@hawkridgesys.com if you'd like to discuss how we can help you out.

Bill McEachern

Hi Charles,

Simulation reseller training, as was stated by others is a great introduction to the analysis procedures, the capabilities, and other things to know about the program. However, solving problems with the tool is another matter. This requires experience. As I have said in other posts you can't learn how to ski powder unless you get in it. Same goes for FEA. Some problems are pretty straight forward and for engineers with a 4 yeaar degree that have expereince in doing basic hand calcs, setting up some basic problems can be done with reasonable fidelity. More intense or complex problems or when the subtelties are important, new users, and some times experienced users getting into a new realm, can benefit from some guidance form an experienced user. I do quite a bit of this in my practice as a service to others with clients across north america. Web conferencing software is very handy for this. I can look at a clients model, figure out what they are after or as the case maybe encourage them to think hard about what they rally want to achieve from an analysis. Once the objective is sorted out we can then explore the various ways to achieve the desired result and what the various approaches imply in terms of the analysis' fidelity, computational burden and other ramifications. Then we typically agree on an approach and I provide guidance on how to proceed. The client then executes the plan and we reconvene to see how it turned out. These sessions typically last about and hours a piece with two or more required to resolve a particular issue. Typically a clinet might be say 8 or mores hours of time and conume it over some set period of time. Having some one to call and learning on your own porblems really advances ones skills quite quickly and is quite beneficial to a company's productivity. This is especially true when experienced users donot exist a given company or they are too busy to help out in a relaible way. As is probably obvious, I end up under non-disclosure all the time on these sorts of engagements. There is no sure fire way to train some one new to FEA to get them all ready to go on your company's problems in a general intro course. The interactions outlined above are the only way I have figured out how to get it done quickly but it still takes some time. I hope that helps.