5 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2013 9:57 AM by Patrick O'Hern

abstract tables

Shadrock Uhuru

hi everyone

i understand that you can create tables for dimensions and features to create different configurations  of parts that is currently being designed ,

is it possible to create what i would call abstract tables of named dimensions prior to the creation of  parts and assembles

that could be referenced by name and used to dimension any part or feature .

shadrock

• Re: abstract tables
          Patrick O'Hern

As long as your "abstract" table followed the formatting of a SW design table, and you make sure the dimension names match between the part and design table, then Yes it is possible.

When you insert a design table, there is an option to use and existing file ("From file").  Just select that option, then browse to you file location.

Capture.JPG

Shadrock Uhuru

thanks Patrick

going  out to work now so will try later.

shadrock

Shadrock Uhuru

hi Patrick

from what i can see i still have to populate the table with

a name of the form NAME@FEATURE,

i would like to have a name for the dimension of NAME,

then link the sketch dimension when drawn to the value of that NAME refers to.

what i am trying to achieve is three box assemblies each seperaterly designed and assembled

the only common dimensions among them is length and width,

the length will always be the same on all three assemblies and also the width.

ahd i wish to modify the length and width from a single point to update all three assemblies,

is a table the right way of going about this or is there a better method

hope i've explianed correctly

Jeremy Feist

if you are on 2012 or later, you can use an external file for your equations. its not a table, but you could list all of them as global variables and then reference your dims back to the global variables.

Patrick O'Hern

One way would be to create a reference part which contains nothing but a sketch.  Sketch a rectangle with your length and width dimensions.

If you are working on part files, then Insert this reference part into each file and make sure in the selections that "Unabsorbed sketches" is checked.  You can now use this sketch as a reference for each of your part files.  To change the dimensions, just update the reference part, and all of your other parts will update as well.

If you are working on assemblies, add the reference part as a component, then use it as a reference for the other components in your assembly.