6 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2013 1:30 PM by Rick Donnellon

DraftSight question

Rick Donnellon

I am in the process of saving SolidWorks drawings to DWG files for delevery to the customer. Can anyone tell me if I can point SolidWorks to use a specific DraftSight/Acad template when saving as DWG? I would like to set up my layers, layer colors, dimensioning standards, etc. beforehand to minimize post processing of the DWG files. 

• Re: DraftSight question
          Anna Wood

Look into setting up a map file.  When you do your File > Save As set your Options after selecting the File Type to save out to use a Map File.

Map File.png

Cheers,

Anna

Rick Donnellon

Thanks Anna, But I was looking for a way to have the layers automatically set up with proper line types, colors etc. It looks like when using a map file I can map entities to the correct layer and set linetype and color to "Bylayer". But then I have to open each DWG and set each layers linetype and color.... unless I am missing something.

Patrick O'Hern

If you click where it says "By Layer", you should be able to specify a custom linetype and color.

Rick Donnellon

Patrick,

What I need is to map all entities linetypes and colors as "By Layer" then in the DWG file set the layers Linetype and colors to control linetype and color. Now after saving to a DWG in SW I have to open each DWG to set the linetype and color for each layer. I have hundreds of file to process:-(. If I remember correctly the way Inventor handles this is you setup a DWG file with all the layer you need with the correct linetypes and colors set and then tell Inventor to use this as a template when saving to a DWG.

Anna Wood

Have you set up a template file for Draftsight to use when it opens to go along with the Map File you have set up in SolidWorks.

Set up an empty Draftsight file with all the settings you want and save it off as a template file.  Then set your Draftsight Options to use that file on open.

Can you post an example sldprt and slddrw file.  Also post your map file from SolidWorks and your template file from Draftsight.  That way we can give it a go on our systems.

Cheers,

Anna

Rick Donnellon

I got it figured out. DraftSight layers, color and linetype are controled in the left panel of the "SolidWorks To DXF/DWG Mapping" dialog box. I just didn't understand how it worked. Once I found some time I played around with the "SolidWorks To DXF/DWG Mapping" dialog box until I got it to work. It doesn't seem the DraftSight has much to do with layer definition.

But thanks for the replies!