13 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2013 4:38 PM by Craig Lalumiere

Users in more than 1 group.

Rob Jensen

I have users in 2-3 groups and ws wondering what's the best way to handle the settings.

The only thing i'm currently managing in the groups are state rights to files and some workflow permissions.

My question is: If I have User A in group 1 and group 2.  Should I have the group settings the same, or should the main group have all the setting applied and then the other groups have everything un-checked?

• Re: Users in more than 1 group.
          Charley Saint

Rob,

There is no such thing as a "Deny" permission in EPDM, so if a user has a permission in at least one group they are in, then they have that permission. For example if you have one workflow named "Secure" and another named "Public" and group A only has permissions to Secure and group B only has permissions to Public, then adding a user to both groups will give them permissions to both workflows.

Charley Saint

Rob,

I should note that I assumed you were talking about Properties, not settings which is this dialog:

2013-05-03_1006.png

Let me know if I was wrong to assume that.

Rob Jensen

I'm talking about settings.

If I have all my setting in my Engineer group they way i want.  Then have a PowerUser group with some settings different (like only working with latest version) the use will inherit that setting.

If I don't have anything checked in the PowerUser setting, the user will still inherit the settings from the Engineer group.

I think the way to do it is have all the group setting the same....if that makes any sense.

Charley Saint

Rob,

Settings are user specific, the dialog you get from right clicking on groups and clicking settings is an aggregate of all the users in that group (that's why you often see the indeterminate square box in a checkbox that some users in the group have checked and others do not). If you apply a setting in the group settings dialog box it gets written to the user settings, but that's not a setting for that group (as in users that are added to that group later don't get that setting). It's a bit confusing, but just think of it as each users settings are specific to them and there is no such thing as a group setting, just a way to view and change all the settings of all the users currently in a group.

Rob Jensen

confusing...very.  but i get what you are saying.  thanks

Brian Dalton

Charley, this is not strictly the case.  I commonly grant users additional permissions just by adding them to an existing group.

For instance, when a manager with approval rights goes out of town and delegates his authority to a regular user, I just add that user to the Managers group and she will then receive all the notifications, have all the folder and workflow rights of the manager.  When the manager returns, I simply remove the user from the Managers group, and she becomes a mere mortal again.

If it didn't work that way, I don't think the Groups concept would have any real value.

Charley Saint

Brian,

You are referring to the "Properties" of each group, which is what you get if you just double click the group in the administration tool, which are held at a group level. Settings are under the right click menu "Settings" and are things like always work with latest version. Those are only stored at the user level.

Craig Lalumiere

Brian I agree with you right clicking and changing the settings to a group does affect the users in the group. I just retested that to verify. Where it gets a little fishy is when you add a user to the group sometimes not all of the settings go through. So its always good to check.

Rob Jensen

That's exactly what's been happening to me!

If I move users into different groups, the settings get all messed up.....sometimes.

So i have to go back and double check everything, which is very frustrating.

Craig Lalumiere

two things I have noticed as I have been going.

1. The group the person was initially put in settings will normally change the user settings.

2. If the user is in multiple groups the initial group settings is the ones the the user settings tend to stay to.

(I have also see this with file warnings)

This is not clear cut rules on what happens, some one else may be able to give better incite but this is what I have seen.

Charley Saint

Hey Everyone,

I'll have to do some testing to see if I can reproduce the issues you are seeing, but as far as I know SolidWorks hasn't added that functionality... I pulled this from the KB:

Settings are stored per user in the database, not per group. When bringing up the settings for a group, it will collect the settings for all current user members of that group and list the combined settings.

The checkboxes in the settings dialog when group (or multiple users) is selected can be in one of three states. On, off or mixed. - If all users have a setting enabled, the checkbox will have a checkmark (on) - If all users have a setting disabled, the checkbox will be empty (off) - If users have different settings (some on, some off), the checkbox will have a "blob" / greyed out marking (mixed) For other settings that are not a checkbox, a group can only show a value for the setting if that setting is the same for all users currently in the group.

When settings are changed from one group that overlaps another or if the user settings are changed separately, the individual users could have different settings, so the group settings will then appear 'empty'.

If adding a user to a group, that user will not inherit any settings as group does not store settings. Keep in mind that the user can be part of multiple groups as well. To reapply settings to all users within a group, open the group settings and then enable the appropriate checkboxes showing the mixed settings or enter the required values for other settings.

Charley Saint

Everyone,

I'm not able to reproduce any issues. If I change settings on a group, then add a user to that group the users settings don't change. Can anyone give me specific steps they used to produce an issue?

Craig Lalumiere

Hey Charley,

It's not consistent that's the major problem. What I said above seams to be the common for me but it dosn't happen all the time. when you add a user to a group. Before you add him have something on and something off.

Once he is added, change one of the settings to the group and hit apply. That will normally change it down stream. Close the group setting window and reopen it and recheck to make sure your setting took. You could even try adding something to the adding folders section. (verify real change though and not stays the same, avoid the"blob")