3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2013 8:28 AM by Sid Humphreys

Volume of a cavity

William Spinney

Hi, I need a easy way to find the internal volume of a open body, mass properties gives you the volume of the solid part, but I want the open cavity.

• Re: Volume of a cavity
          Jeremy Feist

if you are using 2013, the intersect feature is supposed to be a quick and easy way to make a solid out of that cavity, then you can use the mass props to get the volume.

if yo are on an earlier version, you will need to manually create that volume body. the methods for witch vary a bit depending on your part geometry. can you post an image?

Alin Vargatu

Watch this video to see both methods mentioned by Jeremy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f7C3Cf88Q0

Sid Humphreys

Good morning all,

I am trying to determine the volume inside a cavity or box if you will.  After watching the referenced youtube video and seeing that this person gets two volumes, I am only getting one after completing the same steps.  I cap my box with a plane.  I pick the planer and then my box.  When I pick the box though, it says fillet and the number of the fillet.  I unpick the merge result and then choose intersect.  I only get one region and not two like the video.  What might be the problem or what might I be doing wrong is more likely the case please?

Thanks

Sid