81 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2016 11:01 AM by John Fair

EPDM Revision Table Description

Todd Becker

I was wondering if there is a way to do the following:

I have a drawing that is being revised. The Designer fills in the Rev block with the following information; Rev, Description, Date and Initials.  Is there a way to push this information in to EPDM? It is my understanding that EPDM does NOT fill in the Revision Block like Workgroups does. I was hoping to at least push this information in the the comments section during check-in or something.

Thanks.

SolidWorks 2013 SP2

• Re: EPDM Revision Table Description
          Jeremy Schmidt

I don't know of a way to do this out of the box, but I know it can be done through the API.  This would be a nice enhancement.  We currently do just the opposite.  We fill out the information in the datacard and have it "push" to the revision table using the custom properties.

Todd Becker

Jeremy,

When you "push" the information to from the data card to the revision table,  how do you get the system to "add" a revision?

Thanks.

Jeremy Schmidt

Similar to Joy, we're linking the data card to the custom properties using $PRP. I then use the API to create a revision table on save that links to the custom properties. We show the last three revisions in our table, so it adds three rows and sets the links accordingly. We did it this way to allow the row height to adjust automatically. Joy's way is much simpler, but we wanted the row height to adjust, so we couldn't draw it in the format.

All revision numbers, initials, and dates are automatically generated by EPDM on workflow transitions. The user just enters the description and ECO number.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Todd Becker

Thanks Jeremy! It makes sense now.

Jeff Nelson

Jermey,

How do you track the revision history in the data card? Every time you send a drawing through a workflow that updates the revision doesn't it overwrite the revision variable in EPDM. 

Pete Yodis

Jeff,

The values for variables get copied from the latest values to the next latest values.  This explains it ....http://razorleaf.com/2009/10/epdm-workflow-rev-block/.  On my workflow that I am constructing I have this happen when someone takes a drawing file from "Released" to "WIP", as the "New Revision" transition.

Here are my actions....

rev copy actions.JPG

I am still working out some bugs.

Steven Smith

Hi Peter, would you be able to show me an image of the Transaction Action to move a file please.

Lawrence Kiefer

Pete,

Regarding your rev transitions shown above, specifically the "set variable" with a description of "MoveRev01 to rev03" You are showing the overall picture, but what do you have inside of those actions when you double click on them that actually executes the move. I assume when you double click on the action that you have to fill out a string in the area I circled below to make the move. Is that correct? If so, would you share this info with me please.

Also, do you have to keep a table on your drawing with two all of the rows you allow for previouse revisions or will the additional rows be created as you add revisions?

Capture.JPG

Steven Smith

I'd also like to see this, I don't know why I didn't ask before.

Pete Yodis

Lawrence and Steve,

Here is the syntax for copying or moving one revision to another....

copy rev action.JPG

Here is the general revision table we are using....

general rev table.JPG

Steven Smith

Thanks Peter, that saves me having to write an individual macro to achieve the same thing. (Plus it will be automated through the workflow)

I appreciate it.

Lawrence Kiefer

Pete....you just saved me a lot of work and frustration trying to figure that out. I have tried and tested it and its working great. The only thing is it seems I would need two rows in my revision table if I want to show two rows of rev history.

Thanks for the help.

ANDREW MASSEY

morning pete

with reference to your conversation on revision tables, could i refer you to this thread - https://forum.solidworks.com/message/428782#428782

from what i can see in your discussion it looks as though you are using the default revision table with-in solidworks, i am currently trying to use the existing revision table, but seem to have hit a bit of a brick wall.

i am extremely new to this EPDM minefield and it has been a steep learning curve, any help or advice you good give would be a great help.

i look forward to your response and thank you in advance for your assistance.

andrew

Lawrence Kiefer

Andrew, If I may reply to your question directed towards Pete, I am assuming when you say you are trying to use the "existing" revision table, that you mean the actual "Solidworks" revision table...not to be confused with a general table set up for revisions. The solidworks revision table dows not play well with EPDM. Especially if you are trying to keep multiple revisions listed in your table. I have managed, with Petes help to set up a great revision table using the general table, that allows me to store more than one line of revisions. For me I store two lines of revisions on my drawings, the new revision of course and the previouse one. I input this revision data either in my data card for the drawing or in the table itself. Whichever way I enter the revision information, including the rev description, it gets pushed to the drawing table or the data card fields I set up.

Pete outlines how to do this above, and I believe I have a couple of responses to it below his. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will be playing around online for a while tonight.

ANDREW MASSEY

lawrence

yes you are correct in saying the solidworks revision table.

the problem we have is that we have 6 years of drawings all using the solidworks revision table, it would be a real pain to have to swap out the revision table for a general table on all of those drawings.

i am also looking at wether it can be done through API, our guy in india can link the info in the solidworks revision table to show in the data card(which may have to do), but we would like to have EPDM populate the fields and up rev the table as we go through the workflow.

surely if the data can be populated into the data card from the revision table, then the reverse should be possible or is this just a one way street.

i am quite surprised that this has never been done and that EPDM is not capapable of this, there must be lots of companies out there that have been using the solidworks revision table and moved over to EPDM.

i will be doing the solidworks tutorials on API programming to see if i can understand how it works and see if they could help us in this matter.

i am investigating all avenues at the moment so all comments are welcome.

thank you for your time lawrence.

andrew

Lawrence Kiefer

Andrew,

I was quite surprised myself when I leaned that the solidworks revision table would not integrate with EPDM. It was at the advice of my VAR and discussions with others on here that drove me towards the general table.

Now, if you have a guy that can drive the current rev table data to the EPDM data card, you should absolutely be able to push that information back to the drawing, however at that point you will have to replace the rev table with a general table that contains the same properties set up in the data card. That I am confident you can do.

As far as converting ALL of you legacy data, I would not look at it that way. What I have decided to do, is only update the drawings on an as needed basis. There are a couple of reasons for this. Primarily my client has legacy drawings that they may never use again, so converting them would not be worth the effort. What I do is I tell them, when you need to use a legacy drawing for whatever reason, at that point, open the drawing and update the sheet format and the rev table. I know that the data in the drawings that haven't been converted will not be searchable in EPDM but considering for years they lived with drawing data that was not searchable, they are completely content with this.

Hope this helps.

John Fair

Lawrence,

I know this is a over a year old, but though I'd try...  Above you state "I input this revision data either in my data card for the drawing or in the table itself. Whichever way I enter the revision information, including the rev description, it gets pushed to the drawing table or the data card fields I set up."

Could you tell me how you've achieved being able to enter the revision description in the general table and have that push to the data card field?  I can link a cell in a general table to a variable, but entering a value in said cell does not write the value to a variable.

Lawrence Kiefer

John,

I may have misspoke on this slightly. Where I say I can input the revision information either in the data card OR in the table itself, the part stating I can input the data in the table itself is incorrect. Once you start to type in the revision table made from a general table, the custom property links are immediately severed meaning there is no longer a link to the card. What we do is we input our revision table data right in the data card and this pushes it to the revision table via custom property fields.

John Fair

Ok, that is what I was experiencing, which is why I ended up building a table as part of the template and defining a title block.  Doing so does create a two way link.

Lawrence Kiefer

John,

The method you chose is very interesting. I think I may take a look at this method. It would be nice to have the ability to have the 2 way link.

Brian McEwen

That is interesting - using an existing SolidWorks feature that way.  I did a quick test and it looks like we can't have more than one title block region on the drawing. So I'm guessing your revision table is right next to the rest of your title block. 

I suppose it is not that big a deal to move the table from the top right to the bottom - just not what everyone here is used to. 

It is worth considering, thanks for mentioning. 

Wendy So

Hi John,

I have a Rev table with the following headers:

Rev | ECO # | Description of Change | Issued By | Issued Date.

Rev, Issued By and Issued date are controlled by the actions contained in the transition from WIP to Pending for Approval.

The other two variables - ECO and Description - are controlled by the user that makes the change to the drawing. These two variables are linked using $PRP notes within the sheet template.

When the state changes from Pending for Approval back to WIP, i would like the rev history to shift upwards on the rev table, making space for the user to only be allowed to edit the last row of the table. However it doesn't seem like the data that is being entered in the drawing rev block is being transferred to their respective variables. The other values are successfully shifted upwards in the Rev table (Rev #, Issued By & Issued Date), but the other two variables remain empty after the transition from Pending Approval to WIP is carried out.

Any idea why this is not working?

John Fair

Hi Wendy,

Are you trying to use the "title block" functionality I suggested above to fill out the ECO and Description?    I would start by taking a look at how your variables are defined in the administration console (I only link the variable to "custom property" I did not use $PRP or $PRPSHEET, not sure that matters), how your transition is moving the values (Are you not inadvertently overwriting empty values onto desired data before copying the desired data?), Are the actions set to run only for certain file extensions (slddrw?), Are the ECO and Description fields defined on your data card, Double check and triple check for typos...  Just a few things I can think of.  Let me know if you need any more ideas.

Jeff Nelson

John,

Could you explain how you set this up a little more? I would love to set up our revision table this way.

John Fair

Nevermind, i figured it out.

Justin Hoidahl

Pete,

After upgrading to 2015 sp.4 I am noticing that the variables I am copying from latest to next latest are disappearing from the file properties. They are still in the data card but once the new revision is written they disappear from the custom properties. The next time the file goes through the transition that copies the latest to the next latest they show back up again. But then disappear when the new revision is written. This does not happen on every file however and I am having a hard time finding the cause. I'm just wondering if anyone else is seeing this issue and thought I would give anyone who hasn't upgraded a heads up.

Pete Yodis

Justin Hoidahl wrote:

Pete,

After upgrading to 2015 sp.4 I am noticing that the variables I am copying from latest to next latest are disappearing from the file properties. They are still in the data card but once the new revision is written they disappear from the custom properties. The next time the file goes through the transition that copies the latest to the next latest they show back up again. But then disappear when the new revision is written. This does not happen on every file however and I am having a hard time finding the cause. I'm just wondering if anyone else is seeing this issue and thought I would give anyone who hasn't upgraded a heads up.

Justin Hoidahl,  I don't think I can help at the moment.  We are not on 2015 yet and won't be for a little while.  I have design duties that are occupying my time at the moment.  It's a tricky balance between quasi IT battler, CAD guy, data management hack, and primarily a design engineer.  Maybe someone else here has a suggestion for you in your troubleshooting?

Lawrence Kiefer

@ Justin,

I am having the a similar issue.

With me, its not happening with the revision properties, its happening with the Description field. I can enter a description on the data card when I create a part, assembly or drawing and then when I go back to the data card its gone, BUT when I check it in it reappears.

I have an open support case with my VAR on this, and they have opened a case wit SOLIDWORKS to try and resolve this. I haven't heard anything on this from my VAR since 10/22 but if I get an answer I will share. They were able to replicate the problem on their end they just haven't come up with a solution yet.

Helmie Van Der Westhuizen

Hi Pete,

What is the command to reset a variable to "blank"?

Thanks much.

Helmie

Stephen Gioacchini

I am also surprised that solidworks and EPDM did not integrate the rev table. I did the same thing as Jeremy and it work fine. Only thing is I had trouble making it stay as a general table so I just updated my title block template to have 3 revision rows and there it stays. No need to add the table ever.

Only problem is since the Rev Symbol in Solidworks links to the Rev Block provided by solidworks, the rev symbol is not available. Kinda dumb. I know I can do a text with a triangle around it or a block. Kind of cumbersome. Wondering how others handle this.

Steve

Joy Garon

Hi Todd,

We use a single revision block which we overwrite for each revision. (in other words, we do not use the table)

The fields in the rev block are tied to variables which are on the files data card.

The rev is not put in by the designer, it is actually done by the workflow and we use a transition action to write it to the file.

(Set Variable)

RevBlk.jpg

Joy

Todd Becker

Thanks Jeremy and Joy. I want to give you BOTH correct answers but the syystem won't let me.

Swapnil Jadhav

Hi,

Please check out the attached cex. In this i have configured the workflow in such a way that based on the revision of the file it add specific revision, signature of drawn by, checked by and approved by.

I have configured it assuming that there are 5 rows of revision table on the drawing sheet and the revision starts from 0.

Till revision 4 of a file it would fill the row with info of revision, signature of drawn by, checked by and approved by. when you do revision 5, it would move the values of from 1 to 0, 2 to 1, 3 to 2 & 4 to 3.

I have taken the reference from http://razorleaf.com/2009/10/epdm-workflow-rev-block/

Try this for a SW drawing file.

Brian McEwen

Thanks for sharing Swapnil...  same kind of thing Yodis did in image he shared above. 

However, I take issue with this statement on the Razorleaf website ""you can free designers from the tedious process of putting revision block information into SolidWorks each time a drawing is approved.""  I'm going to add a skeptical voice to the discussion. That seems like marketing speak - the designers still have to enter the info. 

Is all this worth the trouble?  Do we want to be able to EPDM search the revision comments? For us and getting our system started I'm going to say no and no. The time savings seem pretty insignficant on this automation. The revision letter and EC number is redundant info (also typed in elsewhere) our folks will need to enter on the revision block, but they are quite used to doing that and it is quick, and probably sometimes easier than dealing with an automated revision table (I had a negative experience with an automated table at a past job).

And finally, where are you entering the revsion comments? On the data card?  I like to be able to do that on the drawing rev table, with the dimensions and revision symbols right in front of me.  Have you thought about editing the revision comments multiple times? "3mm was 4", no "2.4 was 4", no... 

Pete Yodis

I have constructed the workflow such that the person making the change to the drawing adds the comments to the rev table while they are editing the drawing.  These comments are not part of the workflow, although they are captured and shown on the data card for the drawing.  We seem to like the idea of the drawing being as you want it, before the approval process begins.  We do automatically write the approver's initials and dates to the rev table ( a general table), just prior to the automatic PDF creation.  We also capture the drawing checker, engineer checker, manufacturing engineer checker, as the file passes through various checks.  These are also not shown on the drawing, but are shown the data card for each successive round trip through the change workflow.

Wayne Matus

If you force users to "Must enter state change comments", then that comment could add the revision description to the table.

Set Rev Description.jpg

Scott Zieker

Thanks for all of the great info.  I'm trying to set up something just like this.  I have the variables set up in my EPDM Workflow, my file properties, and on my Data Cards, but I am having trouble figuring out how to get the revision table on the drawing to automatically update with the file properties.

Are you guys using a custom Revision table, or just a general table?  I'd love to know how to finish this so I can stop racking my brain over it. 

Andrew Deboer

I've read through this thread, and I get why you can't use legacy revision tables and push that to the data card, but why does it matter if I use a general table versus the revision table? I just copied the $PRPSHEET variables into the cells on the revision table and saved the whole drawing as a template. I opened a part and created a drawing with that template and it pulls in the custom properties just fine. You can even RMB and add revision symbol. As long as the value in the REV column isn't blank.

The only downside is that SW forces all text to fit in a cell, so on the template it stretches the table weirdly to accommodate the $PRPSHEET:"VARIABLENAME" and it doesn't get resized when you make a new drawing and pull in the variables, so you have to resize the table manually after creation.

This happens with the general table as well. So are you guys all re-sizing the table as you make drawing changes? Or is there a feature of the general table that I am missing?

Lawrence Kiefer

Andrew,

What you did is fine for that revision, however what happens when you add a new revision line in the SW revision table? When adding new revisions you would have to add these custom properties to each row in the table and they would have to be separate properties from whats in the previous revision. I have tried to use the SW revision table every which way possible with no success.

Andrew Deboer

I just assumed 3 revisions, and used a rolling set of variables like Pete Yodis showed above. So if there is only 1 or 2 revisions then it shows a blank row or two. I didn't see any mention of adding or hiding rows using the general table, so it looked like those with general tables still use a set number of rows based on how many revisions they want to display?

Unless there is some method of adding rows to a table through an EPDM action that I missed.

Lawrence Kiefer

We only use 2 lines of revision as well. What I do it I use a general table and I have 2 tables on separate layers. Table 1 only shows 1 row for the initial revision then if we revise the drawing I delete that table, and show table 2 that has 2 lines of revisions.

I have a second and 3rd tab on my draiwng data card for the current revision and previous revision. This allows me to input the revision table information all in the data card which I feel is better than editing the table directly. I can easily copy and past info from the data card into the ECO documents or any other document that needs this info. Plus having it on the card allows for quick reference of revision info without opening the drawings.

Husein Delic

I have made 3 revision lines and the Rev4 is pushed to the revision history tab. Is there a way when the next Rev4 is pushed to it that the revision history list pull downs the one that is contained in it and adds the new on? So that I have only one list that saves all the old revisions in it. Currently its overwriting.

Untitled.png

1.png

Helmie Van Der Westhuizen

Hi Husein,

I'm still relatively new to PDM, just in process of launching a Beta vault with Standard PDM.

Through awesome advice from this thread I have setup a Tab showing the current revision with Approvals and a separate Tab for previous two which I think is ample history for revisions. I notice you don't have an ECO # on your Tab. We don't plan to manage ECR/ECO in PDM, but thru Sharepoint.  Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but am curious why you need to keep such a long revision history.

Best Regards,

Helmie

Andrew Deboer

Ah ok. Yea you can only have one revision table, so if they don't want to see blank rows, I'll have to move to a multiple tables set up on the drawing that you can hide. And unfortunately I forgot to test what happens to the revision symbols when you roll revisions. They are linked to the individual row, so the symbols change with the revision update as well. So there's no upside to using the revision table over the general table. You have to manually input the symbol and rev either way.

You push those values to the drawing data card not the part card?

All of our drawings pull their information from the part custom properties, so I just have the drawing card inherit the part card properties. Well it will, currently I haven't mapped the drawing card, because I haven't seen a use for it yet largely because we keep one drawing for one part. So searching for the part will always lead to the drawing. Though I'm sure down the line that might change when I find some odd functionality of EPDM that I need to work around.

Lawrence Kiefer

Andrew, Keep in mind mine is a general table not a revision table. I have nothing but trouble with the actual SW revision table.

You push those values to the drawing data card not the part card?

• Yes I push the properties to the drawing data card. You can do it from the part to the drawing if needed but I figured we don't need to show that info on our part card. One place is fine.

So searching for the part will always lead to the drawing.

•    Yes but the drawing leads to the part/assy so this should not matter to you.
                                                                                                        Andrew Deboer

Yea I get that they are different. The revision table has some extra functions that are basically duplicated versions of the add row functionality but specifically for revisions, which get linked to the revision symbol. Other than that they both function as tables though.

But okay. We just decided all the information needed to be contained in the part file since drawings inherit all their properties from the model anyway.

I'm pretty much navigating this EPDM minefield on my own and learning as I go, so I wasn't sure if there was some limited functionality you were working around by writing to the drawing card and not the part/assy card, which is why I asked. Thank you though.

Lawrence Kiefer

Andrew, no worries. I got that was why you asked. Information is good lol. For me, all I need in the part is the Revision itself.

You can absolutely push the rev info from the part to the drawing/card no problem. Keep in mind if you do this with a general table as I do, you cannot input the information in the table any more. This will result in your links being broken. So, you can either input in the card or custom property window in SW.

To me, the only merit to revision tables vrs general table is the link to the revision triangle, but that's not enough incentive for me to deal with the other shortcomings the SW rev table has. However,it may work for you.

Good luck with your PDM experience. As an admin, I have learned to hate it lol.

Andrew Deboer

Yea so long as they want the Revision data to appear on a card, then users will be forced to enter the data either through the workflow, card or SW custom property window. No way 'round that.

I'll likely move to a general table, since I found that rolling a revision will also change any linked revision symbols. So the little extra functionality of the SW Rev Table can't be used, but oh well no real loss there.

I'm taking major notes, as then I'll have to write a SOP for all of us to follow. We are pretty much going from no data management to full on jumping in the deep end, so I'll take any luck I can get, haha. Thanks again.

Brian McEwen

Here are some other thoughts on how to handle the table.

Re: General table and revision balloons?

The ideas address some of the advantages of the Rev table you lose by going to a General table (eg delete all the old rev symbols in one go).