2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2013 11:57 AM by Simon Turner

Copying File And Then Replacing Component With Document Manager Not Working API

Aj Jones

I have a SolidWorks assembly file that I am copying in VB.Net into the same folder as a new name.  So I now have two assemblies that are identical, but different names.  The code I'm using to do this is:

This works fine, and copies exactly how I want it to.  Right after this code is ran, I use the replace component code from the following link:

I replaced the license key, and the directory for that of the C:\NewCopied.sldasm as well as the components to replace, and it will not work.  If I open up C:\NewCopied.sldasm, the components I told it to replace are not replaced.  It even says "True" on the output in Visual Studio that the swDmComponent.Replace went through just fine.

If I use the same code, and only change the assembly to a different one, it works fine.  Is there something about copying the file that makes it to where the document manager doesn't interact with it correctly?

• Re: Copying File And Then Replacing Component With Document Manager Not Working API
          Artem Taturevych

Looks very strange. Can you try two things:

1) Try to copy this assembly manually and run your code

2) Try to use DM API instead File.Copy to copy the document: ISwDMApplication::CopyDocument

Artem Taturevych, Application Engineer at Intercad (Australia)

translationXpert – add-in to translate SolidWorks models

LinkedIn SolidWorks API Education Group

• Re: Copying File And Then Replacing Component With Document Manager Not Working API
            Simon Turner

I remember running into this in the past.

I think you have to call SWDMDocument:GetAllExternalReferences4 - not sure why - just what the API documentation says to do.

Then call SWDMDocument:ReplaceReference for each of the parts to replace.

Here is a snippet from a working VBA macro:

Dim varRef As Variant, brokenRefVar As Variant, IsVirtual As Variant, myTimeStamp As Variant

Dim myDoc As SwDMDocument13

Set myDoc = myApp.GetDocument(aFile, swDmDocumentAssembly, False, errors)

If Not myDoc Is Nothing Then

varRef = myDoc.GetAllExternalReferences4(src, brokenRefVar, IsVirtual, myTimeStamp)

If Not IsEmpty(varRef) Then

For i = 0 To UBound(myComps) 'myComps is an array of filenames to be replaced. myReps is an array of the same size containing the filenames to replace with

myDoc.ReplaceReference myComps(i), myReps(i)

End If

End If