2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2013 11:57 AM by Simon Turner

Copying File And Then Replacing Component With Document Manager Not Working API

Aj Jones

I have a SolidWorks assembly file that I am copying in VB.Net into the same folder as a new name.  So I now have two assemblies that are identical, but different names.  The code I'm using to do this is:

System.IO.File.Copy("C:\Original.sldasm","C:\NewCopied.sldasm")

This works fine, and copies exactly how I want it to.  Right after this code is ran, I use the replace component code from the following link:

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/api/swdocmgrapi/Replace_Component_Example_VBNET.htm

I replaced the license key, and the directory for that of the C:\NewCopied.sldasm as well as the components to replace, and it will not work.  If I open up C:\NewCopied.sldasm, the components I told it to replace are not replaced.  It even says "True" on the output in Visual Studio that the swDmComponent.Replace went through just fine.

If I use the same code, and only change the assembly to a different one, it works fine.  Is there something about copying the file that makes it to where the document manager doesn't interact with it correctly?

Thanks,

• Re: Copying File And Then Replacing Component With Document Manager Not Working API
          Artem Taturevych

Looks very strange. Can you try two things:

1) Try to copy this assembly manually and run your code

2) Try to use DM API instead File.Copy to copy the document: ISwDMApplication::CopyDocument

Regards,

Artem Taturevych, Application Engineer at Intercad (Australia)

translationXpert – add-in to translate SolidWorks models

LinkedIn SolidWorks API Education Group

• Re: Copying File And Then Replacing Component With Document Manager Not Working API
            Simon Turner

I remember running into this in the past.

I think you have to call SWDMDocument:GetAllExternalReferences4 - not sure why - just what the API documentation says to do.

Then call SWDMDocument:ReplaceReference for each of the parts to replace.

Here is a snippet from a working VBA macro:

Dim varRef As Variant, brokenRefVar As Variant, IsVirtual As Variant, myTimeStamp As Variant

Dim myDoc As SwDMDocument13

Set myDoc = myApp.GetDocument(aFile, swDmDocumentAssembly, False, errors)

If Not myDoc Is Nothing Then

varRef = myDoc.GetAllExternalReferences4(src, brokenRefVar, IsVirtual, myTimeStamp)

If Not IsEmpty(varRef) Then

For i = 0 To UBound(myComps) 'myComps is an array of filenames to be replaced. myReps is an array of the same size containing the filenames to replace with

myDoc.ReplaceReference myComps(i), myReps(i)

Next

End If

myDoc.Save

myDoc.CloseDoc

End If