7 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2013 11:28 AM by Tal Ely

Fill Patterning - Help

Tal Ely

Hi all,

I need help with Fill patterning of the following hole all over the exterior surface of the uploaded model.

Any help?

Thanks!

• Re: Fill Patterning - Help
          John Burrill

Unfortunately, you can't use a fill-surface pattern on a curved surface.

The best that I could think of was creating a curve driven pattern using and ISO curve (intersection curve would work just as well) and then arraying the curve driven pattern in a circle.

fill_surface.PNG

Alin Vargatu

Like this?

flying saucer.jpg

John Burrill

Alin, how did you go about building this, because when I tried to edit the pipe tap to relocate the hole location, the sketch went unsolved when I tried to constrain it to the axis of revolution.  I figured the surface had some curvature that was discontinuous near the apex of the dome.

Alin Vargatu

You are correct John, even if you apply the correct relations in the sketch, the revolve feature creates a singularity on the very top.

Use the face curves on the top face to see for yourself. Even a reference point cannot be placed in the center of the face (actually comes up in the wrong spot).

I believe this is a bug!!!

I was able to place the point in the center of the face after trial and error. The order of applying the relations was very important. Once in the correct position you have to decide if you can live with the warning or you want to fix the point and delete the other relations.

Otherwise, I pretty much used the same workflow as yours, John. Looks like great minds think alike.

The SW 2013 file is attached.

Update: I forgot to tell you that I patterned faces in the circular patterns. Patterning features would not do it here.

Tal Ely

Yes Alin, how on earth did you manage to do this?

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Alin Vargatu

Tal, see if you can open the file I attached. If not, I will create a video to show you what I did.

Tal Ely

Hi,

Uploaded a file!

I've created everything except for the different circular patterns. I'm choosing the faces and every time I try to confirm I get the error message: "Could not attach patterned faces to the solid to form a closes body".

I've tried to get around that and created a curved pattern seperately for each hole and then a circular pattern but then I get the following error message:" The holes could not be inserted due to geometry conditions"

Any advice?

Thanks!

Sorry for keep resurrecting this issue!