9 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2013 10:46 PM by Kip Speck

Marking an older version as a revision

Jeff Sweeney

Imagine I had a design review of my file when it was version 5. After the review, I continue working on the file and create several new versions. Now my boss comes to me and says he wants to make a prototype of version 5. The current, new versions are good, we want to keep them, but version 5 was the one the customer saw, the one he approved…thus I want to “stamp” version 5 as a revision.

As far as I can tell you cannot mark an older version of a file as a revision without rolling back. ???

This is rather common place, anyone else run into this issue? How do you handle it?

• Re: Marking an older version as a revision
          Joy Garon

Hi Jeff,

Let's say you are up to version 8 - I would check out the file (which give you version 8), then I would Get version 5 (0verwriting version 8 in my local cache). I would check it in, thereby creating version 9 and stamp it with the revision.

Joy

Tim Webb

Second that Jeff. I have had to do the same thing and handle it like Joy recommends.

Tim

John Burrill

Yeah, that's a Y14.100 thing-that re-instating a previous version must be done as a new revision.

You'll need to decide what the actual status of the subsequent revisions are and handle your situation in a forthright manner.

If the customer approved rev 5 but not the subsequent revisions, does that make them invalid-meaning they should be deleted or renumbered?  If the subsequent revisions were approved for release and you roll back to rev 5, does that mean you're going to have to get new approvals on everything? I guess the question that has to be addressed is which revision will have to bear the consequences of the other revisions?

Kip Speck

Jeff,

I am completly on the side of a new number post version 5,

Typically we get caught up in Fit, Fom, Function, but I also consider bi-directional interchangability for determining the ability to Revision a part.

However, in the case where a Part Number is representing a "Product" it is common to use a Dash number to indicate a  change in configuration.

For instance, I have a Circuit Board that has options for 3 LED lights, and the "Product Number is CB1000

For the circuit Board that has a Red and Green LED the Product number is CB1000-001

For the circuit Board that has a Red and Blue LED the Product number is CB1000-002

For the circuit Board that has a Red and Blue and Green LED the Product number is CB1000-003

You could then create additional Configurations in the Model and seperate Drawings based on the Configuration. 

The Reviison is then on the Configuration Specific drawing, and the model has it's own Revision.

The differnce is that the BOM will call out the addition items for each Dash Number. 

You may be able to handle your parts the same way,

Just some thoughts..

Kip Speck | Director of Technology

kip.speck@stratus-x.com  | http://www.Stratus-x.com