7 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2013 7:32 PM by Jared Conway

Ordering of parts in Simulation

Dario Da Silva

Hello all

Bit of a stange question that's causing a lot of frustration

I need to export a surface mesh made up of separate layers to GeoStar (see attached picture) (NB: not just split lines because each layer needs to be assigned a different property)

I created a solid body, which I then split along an extruded surface to create layers within the solid. The face of this split solid is then offset to create a surface which enables shell meshing. This creates the required layers in surface form. However, when the Simulation workspace is running, the surfaces are not presented in the correct order. When exported to GeoStar, there is no consitency with the Solidworks model in terms of part ordering.  Furthermore, if I place the parts into a folder to reorder them, the GeoStar export file still does not retain this same order.

Does anybody know why this occurs, or have any suggestions to remedy the problem?

• Re: Ordering of parts in Simulation
          Jared Conway

can you elaborate on what you mean by "not presented in the correct order"?

also what is your workflow?

and i'm curious, what type of analysis do you need geostar for?

• Re: Ordering of parts in Simulation
            Dario Da Silva

1. Import of SpillwayProfile.DWG onto right plane (note slight exclusions in middle of dam body) to form sketch
            2. 1 m extrusion of sketch to create “Spillway Profile” solid
            3. Import of CuttingProfile.DWG onto right plane to form sketch (cutting profile is created by rectangular array of the bottom pattern in AutoCAD)
            4. The sketch is extruded to form the “Cutting Profile” surface
            5. The “Split” function is then used to split the solid body into the component layers. The Trim tool is the “Cutting Profile” surface extrusion
            6. “Surface Offset” function is used, selecting all the faces along the right plane of the solid, with an offset of 0 metres. This is named “Surface Creation”
            7. The Cutting Profile Surface and the Spillway Profile Body are subsequently deleted.