5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2013 9:58 AM by Jim Sculley

Phantom E-mails to Deleted User

Brian Dalton

I have a couple of transitions that send automatic notifications (via transition actions) to user groups.  An employee recently left the company, and I removed his user account from all groups, then deleted it.  I also removed his email address from my Outlook contacts and from any distribution lists within Outlook.

Strangely enough, whenever files go through the aforementioned transitions, EPDM insists on attempting to send him an email, which invariably gets bounced back to me (his account has been deleted from our Exchange Server as well, of course).

Does anybody have an idea of how EPDM could be sending an email to a user that has been deleted from the system?

• Re: Phantom E-mails to Deleted User
          Charley Saint

Brian,

I've seen this before, you need to delete the email address out of the users table in the SQL database, just run this query.

UPDATE Users

SET Email = ''

WHERE (Enabled = 'False')

Joy Garon

Brian -

Be aware that database updates are not sanctioned by SolidWorks unless directed to do so by Tech Support :-)

As always - do a backup first. (I speak from experience) I once ran an 'update' on a sandbox vault and I missed the critical WHERE line in my cut and paste....yes, it was ugly :-)

Joy

Brian Dalton

Thanks for the tip, Charley.  It's only an annoyance for now, so I'll contact VAR for authorization to fix when time allows.

Jim Sculley

This problem is mentioned in S-487531. It refers to S-036225 which does not appear to be accessible to normal users.  My VAR provided me with the text of  S-036225 when I had the same notification problem you describe:

=====================

Question: Why are SMTP email notifications still being sent to a deleted (removed) user in an Enterprise PDM vault?

Answer: This can be seen if the user was deleted from the 'Users' list via the Enterprise PDM administration tool without being removed from the group first.

This issue is submitted to our development team on SPR 487531 ""SMTP notifications still being sent to deleted user when that user was a member of a group if not removed from group before deleting user"

Workaround:
                    Note! Please back up the database before running this query update.
                    1. Open SQL management studio and log into the server.
                    2. Select File > Open File > load "ClearEmailForDeletedUsers.sql"
                    3. Select the vault database in the droplist
                    4. Press the execute button, or select Query > Execute

======================

The query itself just says:

UPDATE Users

SET Email = ''

WHERE (Enabled = 'False')

just as Charley Saint posted.

Rather than use the SQL script, I just edited the data directly using SQL Management studio since it was only a couple of users.

Incidentally, I have had this problem 'reappear'.  I had the problem in August 2012, updated the database and everything was fine until I removed another user a few weeks back.  The problem came back, with emails being sent to the users that were cleaned up the first time around.

Jim S.

Tim Webb

Brian,

Have experienced this before. What Charley recommends is accurate. What Joy cautions on is sound advice.