9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2013 1:35 AM by Waihoong Loke

Camaro Surface Filleting  Problem

Waihoong Loke

Hi Guys, I'm recently having a play with the Camaro modelling which can be found on https://d2t1xqejof9utc.cloudfront.net/files/18211/2010_Camaro_Body_Tutorial.pdf?1360365195 and I encountered a problem.

I'm trying to do the step at the bottom of page 168 and it is about filleting the edges of lower grill surface openings.

20130422152127.jpg

The knit surface is done without problem.

I followed every steps in the tutorial but I failed to fillet the lower edge at 0.0625'' after filleting the upper edge with curve.

20130422154146.jpg

I also tried to do the lower edge first then the upper edge, it works but it is different from what I really want as shown in picture below.

20130422153057.jpg

It is realised that the main problem is at the intersection of the two edges.

I have attached my working file and your help is well appreciated.

Thanks,

Loke

• Re: Camaro Surface Filleting  Problem
          Matthew Perez

Hey Waihoong, when fillets fail its usually for 2 reasons.  Either the curvature of the edge you are trying to fillet, or some discontinuity in the edge/corner where the fillet ends.  I think its the 2nd one in this case.  In general when dealing with complex surfaces Fillets are a bad idea.  Well fillets that we have access to.  A fillet is a constant radius and SW doesnt have control over edge tangency so the fillets will really stand out when we deal with reflections/light.  In reality what I would do here rather than fillet(even though i know i did that in my tutorial) is split the surfaces up and do some boundary surfaces and fillet surfaces to blend everything how i want.  Since I am on 2013 i can't upload a SW file for you to see, but here is an IGES file.  In this file I did a few split lines breaking up the edges I wanted to blend together.  Then i used the Delete Face command to remove those faces.  I start back with a boundary surface front the front edge then work my way up to doing a filled surface to blend in the corner.  If you look at where the new surfaces are you should be able to see how i split up the original faces.  I did leave your fillet for the upper edge there but i did split it back away from the edge a little so i could blend the inside edge.  I think during the iges conversion a few of your faces failed but the ones we are talking about here came through okay.

Let me know if this makes sense.