7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2013 8:24 AM by Karen Brunke

Is there a basic manual for the import tool from Workgroup to Enterprise?

Karen Brunke

I have been poking around for a basic instruction manual to migrate from Workgroup to Enterprise.  As I understand it, our migration should be very simple ... one vault to one vault, don't need the history from workgroup.  The only reason we even need the migration tool is to re-route references in mass for our commercial library items and toolbox items.  I can't even find anything telling me how to launch it.  I searched the knowledge base and Dasault's sight, but couldn't come up with the right search.

• Re: Is there a basic manual for the import tool from Workgroup to Enterprise?
          Jeff Sweeney

There is...but I think it (and the tool) is only avaliable to VARs and solution providers.

Karen Brunke

Okay, so let's pretend I didn't go on a rant and derail my own post.

Let's assume we are going to pay someone to migrate our Workgroup vault down the road.  I need to set up the two environments to work together in the short term so that I can run test projects (real projects) thru EPDM before deploying it company wide.  Ultimately, I would like our fastener library (not toolbox), and our purchased part design library to reside inside EPDM.  We currently have them outside of Workgroup, on our shared network.  What is the best approach for the two environment setup?   Should I just leave everything on the shared network for now?  Do I brave having 2 separate copies of the file (not appealing)?  I want to make sure whatever I do doesn't make migrating the Workgroup files more difficult, but I have to be able to run both setups concurrently.  That is actually why I was trying to research the migration tool.  Plus, I was going to test my decisions to make sure I guessed correctly.

Karen Brunke

So there is no data path from Workgroup to EPDM without using your VAR?  What do companies who think everything has to be done inhouse do? 

Jeff Sweeney

They are welcome to do the migration manually or via the APIs.

I've often wondered why companies sometimes demand everything done in house. If someone can do something faster and cheaper than me, I'd rather have them do it. I guess I am not a moral victory kinda guy?

Karen Brunke

Jeff, thank you for your help.  From my seat in the choir, I can only partially defend the position.  Because of the nature and small size of our business, we tend to be so busy we cannot think, or twiddling our thumbs.  One contract can change us from one to the other.  So, it is very difficult to plan for things like taking the whole engineering database offline.  For instance, I was ready on Monday, but now, one of our engineers is out on extended leave for a family emergency, and I am back to design land for an unknown timeperiod.  Planning something out a month is laughable.  It can be extremely frustrating.  It is also REALLY fun. 

This section is a rant ... be warned, and assume this is the end of the post if you like.

Beyond that, our var has trained us not to rely on them. Here's an example.  Thurs, I turned in a support case that I could probably get an answer for here in less than a day. It is complicated, using advanced scripting options in EPDM tasks, but not rocket science. Friday, I received this e-mail from the support engineer:

Karen,

Thank you for your question. In response, yesterday I created a service request for SolidWorks Corp to get involved and will update you when we receive their feedback in regard to path forward for driving the output location.

No phone call or other correspondence. End of day Monday, I sent an e-mail asking for an update. Tuesday, I got this response:

Karen,
                      I have received a update from SolidWorks, however this is not our desired results. I have submitted a update to accomplish the task of adding the revision to the name of the PDF file.

No offer of a work-around, no question about what they can do to help, no offer to call me to discuss. So in 4 days, today is the 5th,  I don't have an answer, and have received only 2 cryptic e-mails. I still have not received the first phone call about the case. In the same timeperiod people here on the forums, that I'm not paying, have answered probably 5-6 questions with significantly more effort.  Since I already brought it up once, I would have to push to get my mgmt to turn over the task to the var.  I'm honestly afraid to put my neck out there like that given the level of effort they accept.  Sorry for the rant, but not all vars are created equally and you hit a nerve.  It would be great if everyone had access to one like 3D Vision, but evidently, we don't. 

As far as the support request from them, I looked up VB string commands, and figured out how to accomplish what I needed. It's pretty slick, if I do say so myself.  I've never used VB, so there is probably a cleaner way, but it was only a couple lines of code.

Gary Radish

Karen,

Your VAR is a valuable resource that you should not take forgranted they have knowledgable trained staff that can help.  I appreciated the work Jeff did for me when he was my support guy.  And now I still use my VAR as needed.  Sometimes having someone else look at something helps and that is one thing VAR's do very well.