19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2014 8:29 PM by Seth Ruhan

Tree house

iain morgan

Hi,

Does anybody use Treehouse with SolidWorks 2013 and EPDM? If it works it would be a very useful product for me; the (negative) comments I've seen about it are from 2010 or 11.

Thanks

• Re: Tree house
          Ian Worrall

SW haven't updated Treehouse since Jan 2011.

Looks like it's dead to me.

Jeff Sweeney

Yeah, sadly they haven't touched it for a while. I tested it with EPDM 2012, and it worked really well. I would bet it will work with EPDM 2013.

If you like pre-planning your assembly structure, it certainly is worth testing out...the price is right.

I. Chiu Lee

I just found out there is a tool call "tree house" today!

I am so exciting and want to give it a try but I can't find it anywhere to downlord it.

Jeff Holliday

Log onto the SW Customer Portal and find SolidWorks Labs - it is in there.

John Peros

If you want to try something better than TreeHouse, check out TreeView, its FREE!

http://store.hawkridgesys.com/Treeview_p_1225.html

Since TreeHouse was such a cool and useful tool and SolidWorks basically abandoned it Hawk Ridge Systems decided to recreate it and make it even better with TreeView.  We took a ton of the user requested enhancements from the old labs thread and worked them into TreeView as well so you can do things like print and edit custom properties.

We plan to stay on top of this tool and keep making enhancements to it so we welcome any feedback as well.  Once you use it, tell us what you think and shoot an e-mail to HawkWare@Hawkridgesys.com.

Kelvin Lamport

John,

I just had a quick look at TreeView but could not see a way to create an assy structure. It only appears to open existing SW assemblies. Is that correct?

Robert Chase

Is there a 2012 version? I installed it but it does not seem to do anything or give me any indication that its doing anything or that its failed.

John Layne

Hi John,

I was just searching for an updated version of Tree House and found this thread, I've just downloaded and installed TreeView. Thanks excellent product, great way to get a quick overview of the Assembly structure.

John Peros

Thanks John, glad you like it.  Stay tuned for some updates early next year

Pete Yodis

Would be nice if this could run inside of Explorer, such that in EPDM you could get a visual BOM when you click on a SolidWorks assembly.  One the things I will miss when moving from WorkGroup PDM to EPDM is the intuitive BOM based view that WorkGroup PDM presents to users.  With EPDM, seeing file relationships is not automatic like it is with WPDM.  This will be a step back for us...

John Peros

Hey Pete,

You hit right on one of the enhancements we want to do.  Having an version of this accessable directly inside EPDM is big on our list.

John

Chris Cook

Pete,

Thank you for your input.  We are very excited to be developing Treeview.  We believe there it has huge potential.

I think as you get into EPDM you will find it does a better job of visualizing vault relationships in general over WPDM.  It just does it in a different way.  It's funny that you call it a "BOM based view" because WPDM has no inherent BOM functionality, where EPDM can show you the SW BOM from a drawing or assembly, or generate a number of it's own BOMs based on vault references, not just SW CAD references.  If you are in the habit of using attachments in WPDM, it is those references you will have more control over in EPDM, and visually will see in both the BOM tab, and Contains tab, depending on how you attach the reference (you can choose to hide them from the BOM).

Chris

Pete Yodis

Sounds great John and Chris, and makes perfect sense.  EPDM is weak in this area.  I look forward to seeing it.  There seems to be lots of room for improvement in EPDM, both from SolidWorks and folks like you guys.

If you have ever seen the product wheel view in Dassault's higher end PLM software, it looks really slick how you can dive right down into the subassembly or part you are after.  I'm hoping treeview could provide similar visual surfing capability...to get to what you want fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCqH3KjzO4Y

Seth Ruhan

Has there been any thought in making TreeVeiw Open source?

So other dev capable guys can do some work, Ie Add creation ability into it?

Chris Cook

Hi Seth,

We really haven't considered creating any open source projects.  If any of our applications were a candidate for it this would be it.  But currently we have no plans for any open source projects.  If there are specific updates you would like to see please share them.  We are always looking for ways to add value and help you optimize your use of the SolidWorks platform.  So far there have been some great ones posted here.

Seth Ruhan

The reason I ask open source is since there is comments from Sep/13 that shows that no content has been added since.

Like the others said,

• A creation side would be most valuable.
                                                        • Navigation is clunky
                                                        • No Reporting (only screen shots)
                                                        • Options on how to lay out the sub components.
                                                        • Options for size of Icons.
                                                        • Options to show\Hide Parts of sub assemblies.
                                                        • Symbol is drawing exists.
                                                        • Option for what Custom Properties is shown on main interface.

I have a small assembly, Which quickly becomes hard to work with in this program.

However I like the program, Its crisp clean look and month of layout of it so far.