5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2013 11:53 AM by Daen Hendrickson

Custom Property List

Glenn Schroeder

Hello,

I finally decided to delete a bunch of the default custom properties that I never use and don't anticipate ever using from the list.  I left some of the default ones, along with the ones that I've added, and got the list down so that they all fit in the drop-down without the need to scan down.  I did that by clicking on the Edit List button, then highlighting the ones I didn't want one at a time and clicking on Delete.  I thought all was good.  After clicking OK they are all deleted except PunchID, which I believe is one of the ones I originally deleted, and which won't go away even after two more tries at deleting it.

I shut down SW and ran the Copy Settings Wizard, but that didn't fix it.  Any ideas on how I can get the earlier list back?  Or what I did wrong?  I did a search and didn't find anything that would help.

custom property list.png

• Re: Custom Property List
          Deepak Gupta

This is some thing related to sheet metal parts and SolidWorks add them to the list even if you delete it. So simply leave it there.

Check this discussion: https://forum.solidworks.com/message/276342#276342

Glenn Schroeder

Deepak,

Thanks for the link, but my main question is why did SW delete all the others?  And is there any way I can get them back?

Deepak Gupta

No idea why those got deleted. But here is how you can add them:  Customize Custom Property List (the file location might be different in your machine, so please run a search for the file location).

Also is the default file attached for reference.

Glenn Schroeder

Thanks for the link and the file.  For some reason SW doesn't seem to be recognizing the list.  I put it in the location that I show at Options > System Options > File Locations > Custom Property Files, but when I went opened a SolidWorks file, went to File > Custom Properties, and clicked the drop-down, it still just showed just PunchID and a couple that I had added there instead of the list you sent.

Anyway, I clicked on the "Edit List" box there, opened the .txt file that you sent, and copied and pasted the ones that I want.  I don't know what's going on with it, but I don't think it's worth spending any more time on.

Thanks again for your help,

Glenn

Daen Hendrickson

Interesting... We streamlined our list some time ago. Never had PunchID in it.

I just took a look. Yep, it's there. SW must have added it in at some point. It was at the bottom of the list with an extra cariage return between it and the previous items.

I tried deleting it with the built-in SW Properties/Edit List/delete functionality. It disappeared, but came back after a restart of SW.

Next I deleted it using Notepad and editing the text file directly from Windows. After restarting SW, PunchID was still gone. After opening a new part file, PunchID was still gone. After opening Properties, PunchID reappeared. Seems it might be in my template???

PunchID is not one of the custom properties I have pre-populated in my template. What is more, our properties.txt file is on a network share. So does this mean that every time someone in the office opens their file properties dialog, SW is taking the time to go to our network and overwrite that txt file?

I have no idea if this is related, but I have downloaded and ran Anna's Punch benchmark file in the past.

We are using SW2012 with SP5.

Daen