6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2013 8:36 AM by Lee CS Young

GetVersionVars bug.. Maybe fixed someday?

Brian Dalton

I'm trying for the first time to use GetVersionVars (using example code from the API reference file) and it keeps throwing exception 438 (Object does not support this method).

After spending quite some time trying to figure out what was wrong, I came upon some posts online (a different forum) mentioning that there was a bug in the API.  The posts were from 2008 (ie, Five.Years.Ago)

If there is something I can do about getting this to work I would appreciate some help.  If it's just SW being disgustingly slow to fix a $#(*&#$ bug, the shame shame shame on them.

• Re: GetVersionVars bug.. Maybe fixed someday?
          Tim Webb

I have not seen this before. I'm going to throw together a quick add-in to check it myself and post back in a few minutes.

Tim CEPA

Tim Webb

Hi again Brian.

I put together the sample code from the API help file, compiled, and it works. Disclaimer: I set the code to to return the latest version variables so that is an unknown that could cause an issue.

Hope this helps

Tim CEPA

Here's the screenshot from the message box it posted. This particular file has 9 versions but these are the vars from the latest version.

Here's the code I used:

Imports EdmLib

Public Class GetVersionVars

Implements EdmLib.IEdmAddIn5

Public Sub GetAddInInfo(ByRef poInfo As EdmLib.EdmAddInInfo, ByVal poVault As EdmLib.IEdmVault5, ByVal poCmdMgr As EdmLib.IEdmCmdMgr5) Implements EdmLib.IEdmAddIn5.GetAddInInfo

'Just some information for the Administrate Add-ins dialog box

poInfo.mbsAddInName = "EPDM GetVersionVars"

poInfo.mbsCompany = "equivaQ Software, LLC. <www.equivaq.com>"

poInfo.mbsDescription = "Custom EPDM add-in used to pull multiple version variables."

poInfo.mlAddInVersion = 1

poInfo.mlRequiredVersionMajor = 5

poInfo.mlRequiredVersionMinor = 2

poCmdMgr.AddCmd(1001, "GetVersionVars Tool", EdmMenuFlags.EdmMenu_ShowInMenuBarTools + EdmMenuFlags.EdmMenu_MustHaveSelection, "Launch The GetVersionVars Tool", "Launch The GetVersionVars Tool", , )

End Sub

Public Sub OnCmd(ByRef poCmd As EdmLib.EdmCmd, ByRef ppoData As System.Array) Implements EdmLib.IEdmAddIn5.OnCmd

'Check the command ID to make sure it is our command that was called.

If poCmd.mlCmdID = 1001 Then

Dim strSelectionInfo As String = " "

'Retrieve the bounds of the array containing the selected files and folders

Dim index As Long

Dim last As Long

index = LBound(ppoData)

last = UBound(ppoData)

Dim StrID As String = ""

'Create a message showing the names and IDs of all selected files and folders.

Dim message As String = "You have selected the following files and folders: " + vbLf

While index <= last

If ppoData(index).mlObjectID1 = 0 Then 'mlObjectID1=0 if a folder is selected, acts as a flag to alert developer we are looking at a folder

message = message + "Folder: (ID=" & StrID & " )"

message = message + " : " & ppoData(index).mlObjectID2 'mlObjectID2 = ID of folder

Else 'otherwise mlObjectID1 is the ID of the selected file, <> 0 is a flag to alert developer we are looking at a file

message = message + "Folder: (ID=" & StrID & " )"

message = message + " : " & ppoData(index).mlObjectID1 'mlObjectID1 = ID of file

Dim eFile As IEdmFile6 'dimension a file

Dim eFolder As IEdmFolder5 'dimension a folder

Dim vault As IEdmVault10 'vault object

vault = poCmd.mpoVault 'get the vault object

eFile = vault.GetObject(EdmObjectType.EdmObject_File, ppoData(index).mlObjectID1) 'get the file object

eFolder = vault.GetObject(EdmObjectType.EdmObject_Folder, ppoData(index).mlObjectID3) 'get the folder object the file is in

ShowVersionVars(eFile, eFolder.ID, 0) 'call the ShowVersionVars from the API sample code and return the latest version

End If

message = message + ppoData(index).mbsStrData1 + vbLf 'mbsStrData1 = name of active configuration

index = index + 1

End While

End If

End Sub

'Sample code from the API help file

Private Sub ShowVersionVars(ByVal poFile As IEdmFile6, ByVal iFolderID As Integer, ByVal iVer As Integer)

Dim poEnum As IEdmEnumeratorVariable7

poEnum = poFile.GetEnumeratorVariable

Dim oVarData As EdmGetVarData

Dim aoVars() As Object

Dim aoCfgs() As String

poEnum.GetVersionVars(iVer, iFolderID, aoVars, aoCfgs, oVarData)

Dim sMsg As String

Dim iVarIdx As Integer

iVarIdx = LBound(aoVars)

While (iVarIdx <= UBound(aoVars))

Dim poVal As IEdmVariableValue6

poVal = aoVars(iVarIdx)

sMsg = sMsg + poVal.VariableName + " = "

Dim iCfgIdx As Integer

iCfgIdx = LBound(aoCfgs)

While (iCfgIdx <= UBound(aoCfgs))

Dim sCfgName As String

sCfgName = aoCfgs(iCfgIdx)

iCfgIdx = iCfgIdx + 1

sMsg = sMsg + "(" + sCfgName + " : " + poVal.GetValue(sCfgName) + ") "

End While

sMsg = sMsg + vbLf

iVarIdx = iVarIdx + 1

End While

End Sub

End Class

Brian Dalton

Thanks for putting in the time, Tim.  I used a workaround for now, but I'd like to get back to the GetVersionVars function at some point.