5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2013 4:24 PM by Jerry Steiger

Ribs with surfacing tools

Zach Zimmerman

I'm having some trouble modeling ribs in a project with surfacing tools. I've attached some pictures and a copy of the model that I am working on thus far. Essentially this part is a slice of a sphere made up of a rectangle tube frame with a sheet metal skin. I'm constructing a model to be used for presentation use only, so nothing needs to be detailed for manufacturability, just aesthetically pleasing. I recently have been trainined in surfaces and am trying to find the "light at the end of the tunnel" with this modeling technique. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One more question, does anyone know how to model a pringle? Thanks for any feedback!

• Re: Ribs with surfacing tools
          Jerry Steiger

Zach,

I probably wouldn't use surfaces to make the ribs. I would use a hybrid approach.Offset a surface from the "skin" to define the inside edge of the ribs. Actually, two surfaces since you have big ribs and small ribs. Extrude the ribs up to the skin and then cut with the surface that defines the inside edge. You might actually be able to extrude from one surface to the other surface,doing it in one feature.

I'm not intimately familiar with Pringles, but if all you need is the basic idea of the shape, then I would just Extrude a Surface with the arched profile, then Trim the outside with a Circle. Thicken.

Jerry S.