5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2013 10:23 AM by Jacob Cordingley

UNC / mapped drive problem

Per Engberg

We are using a home-made PDM system (based on MSAccess and SQL) and have since switching to Win7 encountered a problem. When opening af file from within SW, the path uses the mapped drive letter for the location of the file e.g. T:\SW-drawings\..

Opening the same file by searching with windows explorer and double clicking the file, the path is in UNC format, e.g. \\server-name\foldername\SW-drawings\..

This causes our PDM to loose the connection to the file in question, and changes in the PDM data is not reflected in the drawing.

After opening a file in these two different ways, the recently opened file list in SW has two instances of the same file (see screendump):

Is there any setting that would consolidate these two instances into one in SW, or do we have to change our PDM-system?

SW 2012 sp5, Win7 64bit

• Re: UNC / mapped drive problem
          Jacob Cordingley

I wish that SW used them UNC path in the reference files

I have a home-made PDM system to

I have an DLL file that will take an mapped Drive an change it to the UNC Path

I can send this to you  would you want the Source(Visual Studio  and I think  it in 2008 .net 3.5)  or the DLL?

what i have done is when a file is "Vaulted" they use an program that will fix the references to the UNC path that way it fixed in solidworks

I use the Solidworks DM API and this  DLL to do it we have not had issues that i know for awhile now.

Per Engberg

Hi Jacob

The source file for your dll would be great, maybe our IT-department can adapt it to our need. My mail adress is peremovethis@andthis roblon.com.

Jacob Cordingley

here is the VB Code

Public Class UNCPath

Public Declare Function WNetGetConnection Lib "mpr.dll" Alias _

"WNetGetConnectionA" (ByVal lpszLocalName As String, _

ByVal lpszRemoteName As String, ByRef cbRemoteName As Integer) As Integer

''' <summary>

''' Convert an mapped Path to an UNC Path

''' </summary>

''' <param name="Path">Mapped Network  Loction</param>

''' <returns>UNC Network Location</returns>

''' <remarks></remarks>

Public Shared Function GetNetworkPath(ByVal Path As String) As String

Dim driveletter As String = Path.Substring(0, 1)

Dim out As String = New String("", 260)

Dim len As Integer = 260

Dim networkpath As String

Dim newfilepath As String = ""

networkpath = WNetGetConnection(driveletter + ":", out, len)

Dim ii As Integer

While Not (out(ii) = Nothing)

newfilepath = newfilepath + out(ii)

ii = ii + 1

End While

If (ii > 0) Then

Return newfilepath + Path.Substring(2)

Return Path

End If

Return Nothing

End Try

End Function