5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2013 10:25 AM by Jeremy Feist

File name in feature manager tree

Sid Humphreys

Morning all,

While in assembly and looking at my feature manager tree I have a particular part's name or the information that SW is giving me about that part that is confusing me.  As I see it in the essentials book I am borrowing, the component has a number in brackets <#> after its name that indicates the instance.  1 for one of those in the assembly.  2 for two of those in the assembly and so on.  If your instance number is two, shouldn't that mean you have two of those components assembled into the assembly?  I have only one of these parts assembled in and am confused as to why SW is telling me 2 for the instance number.

Thanks

Sid

• Re: File name in feature manager tree
          Glenn Schroeder

Is it possible that you had a previous instance of the part that was deleted?  It's my understanding that those numbers refer to the first, second, twenty-third, etc instance of that part that was inserted in the assembly, not the total number, as it doesn't update if parts are deleted.  I just ignore them.  If you need to know the number of a particular component in an assembly you can insert a BOM.

Ian Worrall

If you remove one instance of a component, the other instances are NOT renumbered.

Sid Humphreys

Morning Glenn,

There was never more than one of these parts ever assembled in.  I did just rename the part though to something else.  It was after that rename that I saw that the instance jump to the number 2.  You would think it would key on the part name.  Why call it an instance amount or the number of instances in the assembly if the number is never correct.  They should call it, "how many times this part has been assembled" instead.  Especially if the number is not going to update after a rename or deletion.  That to me is a useless piece of information that just clouds up the already obscure feature manager tree.  I will do as you have Glenn, ignore it as I am with all my hardware mates that have minus signs on them.

Thanks.

Sid

Glenn Schroeder

Sid Humphreys wrote:

That to me is a useless piece of information that just clouds up the already obscure feature manager tree.

You can turn off some of that information.  RMB on the assembly file name at the top of the tree and choose "Tree Display" from the drop-down.  Of course, this so-called instance count number isn't one of the things you can turn off, but there may be other things you don't need or want.

Jeremy Feist

it is there to give a unigue identifier to that "instance" of the part in that assembly so that if you were to say add a design table, you could reference a particual instance to control its configuration. with out changing the config of other instances.