17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2013 9:32 AM by Charles Culp

HP or Lenovo

Jim Cokley

Hello, I work for a small company and I want to upgrade to a laptop to run 2013. My company works with small molds and punch press dies. The assemblies are no more the 250 pieces, with the possibility of going to 1000 piece assemblies in the future. I am looking for either an HP or Lenovo and my budget is $800 dollars. Any ideas as to what I should go with?

• Re: HP or Lenovo
          Jerry Steiger

Jim,

You might want to move this question to the Administration forum, as that is where the best discussions about hardware live. I would guess that you are going to have to spend more money if you want to get a good machine from one of the established workstation suppliers. You might be able to get a good machine for that price if you build it yourself. Read the thread: "February 2013 Suggested Computer Specs" in that forum, also listed in the "More Like This" box to the right.

Jerry S.

Charles Culp

Jim,

HP or Lenovo, and you will get about the same quality product. It is like comparing a Buick with an Oldsmobile. They are just about the same thing.

SolidWorks will only support systems with professional grade graphics cards. There are no laptops for under $800 with professional grade graphics cards. You can get desktop systems for this price, they have Xeon processors with the integrated P4000 video. These are not bad machines, but they are not laptops.

My suggestion, if you are stuck with an $800 laptop, is to get one with the highest frequency (GHz) Core i5 Mobile you can find. These should meet your price point. Then, video card is mostly irrelevant, because it won't function correctly. So stick with an Intel Integrated Video chip (the consumer grade HD4000, which is not for SolidWorks). This will give you your best bang/buck to get somewhere with an $800 laptop.

Consider a ThinkPad 430u, with the Core i5-3427U processor, and 8GB RAM. This runs $843, but is about as cheap as I would want to go. That extra RAM for $80 (from 4GB) is probably necessary. How big of assemblies/parts do you use? How many parts, and how complex are they?

A better option would probably be HP, who has a better deal on their dv6t-7000. Get it with the Core i5-3210M, Intel HD graphics, 8 GB memory, and then get that extra 32 GB mSSD accelerator. That SSD accelerator is worth its weight in gold. Total price for that is $775 on the website, and you might be able to get a corporate discount.

Javier Lozano

Hi Charles and everyone
                As Jim'm looking for a laptop over 1000 in which to use occasionally Solidworks,
                and is in this point where I'm lost.
                In your last response you recommend Jim the Lenovo ThinkPad 430U, with the Intel Core i5-3427U processor and 
                I've raised some doubts.

A this mobile or U processor  is enough to work with SolidWorks?

I was thinking about buying this notebook with NVIDIA GT650 but as I have understood this video card won't function correctly so can I "delete" the video car (only for SolidWorks) and stay with this one and its Intel HD4000?

Thanks