2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2013 3:34 PM by Jared Conway

Meshing shell elements

Qi Xian Ho

I tried meshing some thin plates using shell elements but solidworks simulation dosen't allow me to select some of the faces. Any idea why is it?

• Re: Meshing shell elements
          Qi Xian Ho

If anybody were to open and the file and switch to bottom view, not all stiffeners' face on the 2nd row can be selected. When my cursor go near other stiffeners solidworks know that they are stiffeners, but when the cursor goes near the problematic ones, solidworks recognises them as other parts nearby.

• Re: Meshing shell elements
              Jared Conway

hi qi, a screenshot showing which ones are working and which aren't would be great. it is difficult to know whether you mean 2nd row from the top or bottom, or left or right (Assuming you don't mean columns).

also, there is no simulation setup in the file so it is difficult to see where you're at. from what i see, they are all beams right now so you have to go from beam > treat as solid first. none of them seem to have issues when I've done that step first in 2013 sp2.0.

i would recommend you start with a simpler part for learning how you're going to handle the stiffeners. it will be an exercise in book keeping to make sure that you've made all the appropriate selections and defined the appropriate contacts. i would suggest building a surface model for that whole part of the assembly with appropriate splitlines so that all the contacts and connections are defined automatically or make them all sheetmetal so that they are converted to shells and bonded contacts defined automatically. this will save A LOT of time. If you build in the appropriate parametric dimensioning, it will allow you to change things quickly and iterate quickly on that design.